all posts post new thread

Barbell Romanian Deadlift (RDL)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
This is a fairly simple lift, and one that I had at the end of today's weightlifting session.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any tips and tricks for RDLs...

This is a fairly simple lift, and one that I had at the end of today's weightlifting session.

I think sitting back more as opposed to bending over will help you.

I only go as far as my hips will travel back on an RDL (as if to do a good morning with the bar in my hands). Bar is usually kept in constant contact with the body as of to drag/scrape across.

This looks much more like a SLDL, though you do well to not round your back. Once again, push the hips back until they go back no further, then reverse the movement. This ensures the hamstrings and glutes takes the brunt of the load, as opposed to the back.

I think sitting back more as opposed to bending over will help you.

I only go as far as my hips will travel back on an RDL (as if to do a good morning with the bar in my hands). Bar is usually kept in constant contact with the body as of to drag/scrape across.

This looks much more like a SLDL, though you do well to not round your back. Once again, push the hips back until they go back no further, then reverse the movement. This ensures the hamstrings and glutes takes the brunt of the load, as opposed to the back.

Pretty much agreed.

One thing I'd add is grip width. @Anna C , I suppose this grip width is competition lift specific to you? Personally, I go with as narrow as I fit, or my deadlift grip width. Everyone should pick according to their needs.

There's some individual variance to the range of motion but I think between mid shin and below the kneecap should be fine. This should be a good exercise to improve the ROM if it is initially found lacking.

Good observation, thank you!

One thing I'd add is grip width. @Anna C , I suppose this grip width is competition lift specific to you? Personally, I go with as narrow as I fit, or my deadlift grip width. Everyone should pick according to their needs.
Yes, this one was prescribed by my coach as "Snatch Grip Romanian Deadlift", though I don't know the reason for that (as opposed to regular deadlift grip width), except maybe a little extra time with the snatch grip and work to hold that upper back posture with that grip width.

I'm not going to get into the whole RDL vs SLDL debate. It's been raging for decades with no end in sight.

I do RDLs/SLDLs weekly. The only thing I do differently from you:

1. I usually use a clean grip instead of a snatch grip because of depth / ROM.

Although I do a snatch grip RDL sometimes, I usually save snatch grip for rows and floor pulls.

But if you're not doing any snatch grip accessory work, it's probably good to have some.

2. I go much slower on the eccentric

3. I think 'push my butt into the wall', not 'lower weight'

4. I do higher reps, sets of 6-10 usually

5. I stop at parallel, because below that my lower back arch starts to degrade

Last edited:
Honestly…

There are so many RDL/SLDL variations with such minute differences it doesn’t matter what you call it as long as it’s serving it’s specific purpose in aiding you with its objective function.

For example, I’m not sure I know what the difference between Dimel deadlifts and RDL’s are. Then there’s the “American deadlift” which I don’t quite understand.

Agreed with @Philippe Geoffrion , the RDL is different everywhere you look. The only real constant is that you start in the top position rather than the bottom.
For athletic purposes I don't see much value in stiff leg versions; though honestly I see little value in any stiff leg exercises. For that reason I prefer the RDL to look very close to the true DL or Good Morning, pushing to that 8:00 position, and I'm ok with the RDL (but not so much the true DL) even straight to 9:00, again provided the knees bend a bit.

/.02

Are your breathing patterns and neck position optimal? I'd consider using your eyes to look at the horizon and not your neck. Is breath retention for three reps prescribed or a natural rhythm? Stay Simple and Sinister, Anna! :)

For that reason I prefer the RDL to look very close to the true DL or Good Morning, pushing to that 8:00 position, and I'm ok with the RDL (but not so much the true DL) even straight to 9:00, again provided the knees bend a bit.

Actually, for training for weightlifting (which I assume is why @Anna C is doing them), you typically don't need / want to go to 8:00, because that's not the correct hip vs shoulder positioning for a 1st pull from the floor.

In weightlifting, you don't ever want to be in a position where the hips are higher than shoulders during a pull.

I don't do my RDLs deeper than 9:00 o'lock because I don't want to engrain a high butt motor pattern.

Last edited:
There are so many RDL/SLDL variations with such minute differences it doesn’t matter what you call it as long as it’s serving it’s specific purpose in aiding you with its objective function..

That's why I don't get hung up on the name.

The purpose in weightlifting of the RDL (or whatever you want to call it) is to reinforce maintaining a strong back arch during the top half of the 1st pull, practice correct shoulder vs bar vs hips vs legs positioning, and hamstring / glute development.

The big programming distinction in weightlifting vs a Good Morning is that all the stuff about bar positioning training gets tossed out and turns into just a more basic back arch / ham / glute exercise.

2. I go much slower on the eccentric

3. I think 'push my butt into the wall', not 'lower weight'

2 changes I will make! Thank you.

The purpose in weightlifting of the RDL (or whatever you want to call it) is to reinforce maintaining a strong back arch during the top half of the 1st pull, practice correct shoulder vs bar vs hips vs legs positioning, and hamstring / glute development.

That sounds like what we're after, from what my coach has told me. Chest up, strong back, feel it in the hamstrings.

provided the knees bend a bit.
This is one aspect I'm a little unsure on. I start with some knee bend, and try to maintain that throughout the set, but it looks like my legs are mostly straight. It does feel unnatural to come to the top position without being in a deadlift lockout position.

Actually, for training for weightlifting (which I assume is why @Anna C is doing them), you typically don't need / want to go to 8:00, because that's not the correct hip vs shoulder positioning for a 1st pull from the floor.

In weightlifting, you don't ever want to be in a position where the hips are higher than shoulders during a pull.

I don't do my RDLs deeper than 9:00 o'lock because I don't want to engrain a high butt motor pattern.

I don't do/work with OL athletes, so I will 100% defer to your initial comment on the first pull position.
Regarding your second comment though, I don't want shoulders below hips at all, in the way I coach/do RDL's either. This is probably why it's such a mess to say "RDL" in a program haha.

It does feel unnatural to come to the top position without being in a deadlift lockout position.

Unlearning the hip lockout is one reason why I almost never train conventional deadlift these days -- it makes want to do lockouts on RDLs, clean pulls, and clean deadlifts.

Basically, I end up getting a bunch of technique pollution from conventional deadlifts to a bunch of weightlifting moves.

So if I want to do something with a full hip lockout, I'll either do good mornings or sumo deadlifts.

FWIW, in my current hypertrophy block, I'm doing RDLs (no lockout), sumo clean pulls, and sumo deadlifts as my main "legs pull" hypertrophy exercises for this technique pollution reason.

Unlearning the hip lockout is one reason why I almost never train conventional deadlift these days -- it makes want to do lockouts on RDLs, clean pulls, and clean deadlifts.

Basically, I end up getting a bunch of technique pollution from conventional deadlifts to a bunch of weightlifting moves.

So if I want to do something with a full hip lockout, I'll either do good mornings or sumo deadlifts.

FWIW, in my current hypertrophy block, I'm doing RDLs (no lockout), sumo clean pulls, and sumo deadlifts as my main "legs pull" hypertrophy exercises for this technique pollution reason.

Maybe I'm conflating two different things, but isn't full hip extension similar to lockout position as far as "full hip lockout"? Do you not want or try for full hip extension on cleans?

Maybe I'm conflating two different things, but isn't full hip extension similar to lockout position as far as "full hip lockout"? Do you not want or try for full hip extension on cleans?

Yes, but when I'm in full hip extension on a clean, the bar is not in the same place and I'm not doing the same thing with with my arms or feet as in a deadlift.

Bar / body contact happens for me at the start of the 2nd pull, before full hip extension.

By the time I'm in full hip extension, the bar is already in the air and I'm starting my 3rd pull.

If I do a lot of conventional deadlifts, it messes with my motor patterns and timing of all this for my cleans -- that's just a "me" problem.

Last edited:
Yes, but when I'm in full hip extension on a clean, the bar is not in the same place and I'm not doing the same thing with with my arms or feet as in a deadlift.

Bar / body contact happens for me at the start of the 2nd pull, before full hip extension.

By the time I'm in full hip extension, the bar is already in the air and I'm starting my 3rd pull.

If I do a lot of conventional deadlifts, it messes with my motor patterns and timing of all this for my cleans -- that's just a "me" problem.

OK, yep... totally makes sense.

Cleaned up my form a bit based on the feedback above. Many thanks, and LMK if any further inputs!

Cleaned up my form a bit based on the feedback above. Many thanks, and LMK if any further inputs!

Much better!

But you're losing some of your upper back tightness about halfway down and your shoulders are relaxing forward a bit, especially towards the end of the set.

You want to feel tight in the upper back like you could turn it into a hang snatch if you wanted to.

A little more chest up.

You might not be able to go as low, but that's okay.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom