all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RoP: Heavy swings on "Heavy day"?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If only I had been paying more attention to this forum earlier this week! Yesterday I wrestled with this exact problem and ended up rolling a nine minutes with the plan of doing 40kg for 2H swings. Hilarity ensued. My takeaway was that I shouldn’t be using my ”five minute” 100% bell for heavy or even medium days. More details, as well as other week one learnings from ROP are on my log starting here.
Heavy day: same bell as presses. Perform as many reps in the time dictates by the dice roll. What I did Was one arm swing, 8 reps left, 8 reps right, every minute on the minute.

Medium Day: same bell as presses. 75% of the reps from heavy day. What I did: one arm swings 5 reps left, 5 reps right. EMOM for as long as dictated by dice roll.

Light Day: same bell as presses. Light volume. What I did: 4 reps left, 4 reps right. EMOM as long as dictated by dice roll.
After having to bail on my set yesterday, I re-read a lot of ETK and think this is pretty closely aligned to Pavel’s original intent. What he would recommend now or what is the most effective program are different points, of course. The book is assuming a fairly novice level and a very minimal number of bells. It is actually doable with just one, but three would be the most he expected a reader to have. I am personally not going to go to just one bell, but I am going to go a lot lighter for the swings (24kg - 1H only) and use this to build more SSST capacity not absolute strength or power. For the Thursday variety day, I will keep with the 32 and do Q&D style power swings and timing. That will be enough so I don’t lose my top gear. After resisting the ballistics side of ETK for a long time, I am just going with it and seeing what it can teach me. Pavel may know more now, but even then he knew more than I ever will.

If only I had been paying more attention to this forum earlier this week! Yesterday I wrestled with this exact problem and ended up rolling a nine minutes with the plan of doing 40kg for 2H swings. Hilarity ensued. My takeaway was that I shouldn’t be using my ”five minute” 100% bell for heavy or even medium days. More details, as well as other week one learnings from ROP are on my log starting here.

After having to bail on my set yesterday, I re-read a lot of ETK and think this is pretty closely aligned to Pavel’s original intent. What he would recommend now or what is the most effective program are different points, of course. The book is assuming a fairly novice level and a very minimal number of bells. It is actually doable with just one, but three would be the most he expected a reader to have. I am personally not going to go to just one bell, but I am going to go a lot lighter for the swings (24kg - 1H only) and use this to build more SSST capacity not absolute strength or power. For the Thursday variety day, I will keep with the 32 and do Q&D style power swings and timing. That will be enough so I don’t lose my top gear. After resisting the ballistics side of ETK for a long time, I am just going with it and seeing what it can teach me. Pavel may know more now, but even then he knew more than I ever will.
After reading this post, and the whole thread, I think that once I’m back doing ROP I will just do the heavy or medium day swings same as the S&S Simple timed session swings with 24kg. To carry over that S&S base towards snatch tests. It could be either always 5min or dice roll with 10L+10R for each minute. Rolling 2x6 would be fun.

Full disclosure time: I've been very tempted to give Red Zone a try, even though I'm not close to Timeless Simple yet. The only thing that stops me is I doubt my shoulders and elbows would stand up to 150 reps of Military Press each week.
Same thought. Still swinging the 24. 1hs w the 32 is a good while away...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom