all posts post new thread

Old Forum ROP - swings per set dilemma

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Calthrop

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello Everyone

I am doing ROP by book - easy, medium, hard and two days of variety. Now, the best strategy for big numbers of swings, it seems, is to do a large set first, then two or three quite big ones, then I'd stay on low numbers per set and repeat those sets untill the time is about to end - then the time comes for one last heroic set, till the last second.

So, for me, for example, job with one-handed swings with 32kg bell when I get 10 minutes in a hard day, looks (more or less) like this:

1 set - 15/15 x2 (15 each hand twice, 60 total)

2 set - 15/15, 10/10

3 set - just like 2nd

4 set - 10/10, 5/5

and then a lot of sets like 7/7. Then the finisher.

This is the way I usually get above 200 swings in 10 minutes.

But recently I've been experimenting with only low repetitions - so just 7/7s all the time - and I did not even get near to 200 in the same time. It felt like if I did not start my job with a few larger sets, I just can't go that far; I get tired a lot faster. This way, however, my swings remain visibly explosive throughout the session, while method described above (large sets first) gives me high numbers, but swings get a bit weaker at some point.

I did not give it any thoughts before and just did it the way that gave me higher reps. But in "An excerpt from: Kettlebell Simple & Sinister" Pavel has written:

"If you are told to do a higher volume or to compress the rest periods, you will unavoidably start holding back power, pacing yourself.  Your goal would change from getting the desired training effect to just surviving."

So which way of training is better in Your opinion? Thank You in advance.

Interesting dilemma.  When I did the ROP for the swing portion, I broke it down in, how many swings can I do for time.  So for example for 1 minute was 100%  which for 2 hand swings was 40.  75 % is 45 seconds or a round of 30.  I wouldn't worry about hitting numbers, it's about work done.  On easy day for snatches, I aimed for 60% or 36 seconds of work.  For me that was 7 snatches per arm.  In 10 minutes, that's 140 snatches.   As you said, you're reps are explosive, aim for that, not 200 swings.

What I mean is working in the time space vs. reps.  Of course if you go out fast, it's going to catch up with you.

Hey Adam....have been recently been working ROP "by the book" too.

I've used my gymboss interval timer a bunch in the past and decided to use it for the swing portion of ROP.

So for Medium Effort Day I usually did 30:30.  30 seconds of work to 30 seconds of rest.  Just cranked out ~19 swings at the beginning of every minute for how ever long my roll of the dice dictated.

For Heavy Effort Day, depending upon how I felt, I did more than 30 seconds of work in every minute.  It also depended upon what my roll was too.  If it was a small number of minutes, maybe I did 45:15, 45 seconds of work and 15 sec of rest per minute.  Just made sure I smoked myself on Heavy Day.

I had the same issue when I was on ROP. My best was 198 swings in 10 minutes. But I know that if I were to implement the same strategy as I do in S & S (with breathing as described in the book), there is no way I'd make that 198 reps in the same time. It's one thing doing 100 reps in 5 minutes (which I'm 16 seconds away from achieving), but to do 200 reps in double that time, while still implementing the proper breathing and planking at the top, is a completely different story.

I'm sure there's still merit to the ROP and the principles behind it, but I feel as though I've progressed more with S & S than I have on ROP.

Arryn, I myself actually have a problem with increasing swing and snatch numbers for a very long time. Not giving up yet. But I'd really like to play with double KBs, so if nothing changes till the end of the second year with ROP, I guess I'll switch it for a while.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom