all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rop Variety days and Specificity

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik Hournou

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey fellas! anyone doing Rop or any other program that includes variety days, do you focus on specialized variety to complement the core program, or do you fill the gaps with different exercices that fulfill other roles?

eg: doing getups to improve overhead position on presses, vs doing pistol squats and leg raises for core stability/mobility, arguably both provide overall improvements, but one may be more beneficial to progress quickly with the program.

how do you think about this? maybe it depends whether you have a firm grasp on technique or on the contrary could benefit from more skill-specific drills.

curious to hear your thoughts.

Hey fellas! anyone doing Rop or any other program that includes variety days, do you focus on specialized variety to complement the core program, or do you fill the gaps with different exercices that fulfill other roles?

eg: doing getups to improve overhead position on presses, vs doing pistol squats and leg raises for core stability/mobility, arguably both provide overall improvements, but one may be more beneficial to progress quickly with the program.

how do you think about this? maybe it depends whether you have a firm grasp on technique or on the contrary could benefit from more skill-specific drills.

curious to hear your thoughts.

It’s really up to you. It’s variety, not filling the gaps, as ROP does not leave many. Personally I did TGU as it was helping m my shoulders, but they were not as primed as with S&S Simple standard, for only 24kg before I did ROP.

If you see specific stuff you want to try to improve at the same time, do then. If you need to get your mind and body happy with doing something different from the program, do it. ROP itself it’s quite a lot of various lifts by current minimalist standards, especially if you go with pull ups too.

Also keep in mind that ROP will challenge most of your body. Your shoulders certainly. Perhaps the lower body could use extra work if you like, but unless you’d do iso work, there is not much that won’t affect the worked mid section.

A lot of people reported back being happy not doing variety days at all.

aah that's interesting, i'll start the Rop and keep the additional work to a minimum, I'll start with 1 variety day after the light day and do some mobility and snatch practice and keep it at that, and remove it a few weeks in when the volume gets high.
thank you!

I just do other stuff that I enjoy, nothing terribly difficult, and often not the same thing for more than a couple of sessions.

-S-

I like to work on hanging leg raises on my variety days and do a few sets of towel hanging as well.
I also try to include some squat-work (double kb front squat/ just bodyweight/ pistols).

On Sundaymornings I'm going out for a weighted ruck (about 20kg for 8 km).

@Dries S interesting, I just tried some hanging leg raises and noticed I felt it on my lats HARD, my guess is if I do the Rop with the added pullups it'll be too much for them to handle.
I'm going to start walking now that the quarantine finally opened up a bit here!
and work on mobility and some easy tension drills.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom