all posts post new thread

Old Forum ROP Variety Days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JaphyDeluxe

Level 1 Valued Member
First of all, I'm not sure it's cool to post about the Rite of Passage as published by a previous entity.  But I can't find any rules, so what the hey.

I've been feeling pretty burned out on my powerlifting program lately. I've been using kettlebells for conditioning and assistance work for years, having bought Pavel's ETK book and working with an RKC at my former gym.

I think I'm taking the plunge and starting on Pavel's Rite of Passage program. I'm trying to decide what to do with the variety days - keep deadlifting and/or squatting? Set one of those aside and start working my getups for real (they suck)?

With so many pulls in the program, I don't know if I need to deadlift. Except that's my best lift and I'd hate to see it stagnate. I'm thinking double kettlebell squats to replace back squats, just to mix it up. But then again, it took me forever to get where I'm at, and I don't want to backslide there, either.

Comments? Advice? Am I trying to have my cake and eat it, too?

No problem to talk about ETK! There has been topics on Convict Conditioning here too, this is a wonderful place and don't remind me of a dictatorship at all.

First things first! Have you tried the PM (or S&S wich seems to be an updated version, I haven't got the book however)? If not it's a great place to start, you can do some clean and presses and snatches once you get used to the program itself.

If you have paid your dues I recommend trying the RoP without variety days first time and focus on the ... focus.

I always keep doing variety days until the volume of climbing those 5 ladders. I always practice stuff I think I might need practice on.

If you are very scared of loosing your deadlift you can always do 2 weeks of RoP then 2 weeks of PTTP. I however don't think it would do any harm if you do a RoP cycle then 12 weeks or so of PTTP (unless perchance you are an elite deadlifter of some sort but then you should ask your coach).

Hmmmm...after reading your response and some other stuff out there, I'm thinking it does make sense to "focus on the focus."  I've just been grinding away in one way for so long, it feels weird to change it up, you know?

Hi Tim McIntire,

Sad to hear your burning out effect. I hope you ease out your training for a short period of time. ROP is a great program, but when you do it long enough, it can be taxing too. I did ROP and deadlifted during my variety days PTTP style. But when my pressing ladders went up, I had to drop out variety days. Variety days were ment to be; “do what ever you like, but take it easy”.

One way to keep deadlift in your program is to read two good texts from a blog section; Kettlebells and deadlifts go like vodka and piccles. Another is Kettlebells + swings, part II.

You can also do PM and PTTP with two week blocks, like mentioned above.

I don’t know how to keep your numbers up with squat. I had to let it go, due to my knee problems. Only versions I do nowadays are face the wall and goblet squats with kettlebells. Some times I do front squat with barbell, but only with moderate weight.

I hope you can find your way to put all things you like in a one program and if you find out a good way, let me know.

Cheers,

Masa

Hello Tim McIntire,

The one thing I think almost everyone should do on variety days is some form of squats. No need to go pedal to the metal.

I think deadlifts could be too much considering the high volume of cleans, swings and snatches.

Good luck.

Stefan, that is exactly the conclusion I've reached after (a) reading everyone's helpful suggestions and (b) starting the ROP for real.  Squats on Thursdays, fairly light, not a super volume.  Enough to get a little work in and maintain my ROM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom