all posts post new thread

Old Forum Running - a role for it in a fat loss program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PeteMachin

First Post
I have been doing S & S since March after a long exercise lay-off (currently with 24kg for both exercises). I train on average around 5x per week.

I am thinking of adding a couch to 5k running program 3x per week ( to keep it easy and in accordance with the S & S 'peasant worker' approach i.e. working moderately without exhausting onself) and may well work my way up to longer 'easy runs (the same site I have my current program from also has programs to get up to 60 & 90 minutes).

I know that Charles Staley is no fan of running for any other purpose apart from being a better runner, but do you guys think a run 3x S & S 4x per week routine would be better for fat loss than a S & S 6x per week?

First of all, you are better not putting calories in your mouth than you are trying to run them off. In other words, sort your diet out if you are interested in fat loss.

Second, have you tried running at all? In my case, S&S alone is good enough to keep me primed to run 10 miles whenever needed. I've got no problems with wind, it's just around the 10 mile point my body starts telling me it's time to stop. I think that's pretty good performance for something I never train.

So you might just want to go out there and see "WTH" S&S has prepared you for before you limit yourself with something like the Couch-To-5K program.

I agree with Staley in principle, but maybe not in degree. I think that investing the time/energy you would put into running toward making your diet as good as possible would be more productive. And if you are going to run, training for a good time on 400 or 800 meters using intervals would likely give you better results. The problem of course is that it will take away from your ability to do lots of swings.

Diet is first priority when first loss is the goal. I don't think you need running. Don't think a little bit of running would hurt either.

But for time invested I think there are better options than running. Wich just doing S&S would probably be better, this from experience.

Peter, run easily enough that you can breath through your nose - when you lose that, slow down until you regain it or just stop and walk.  Done in that manner 3x/week, I don't think running will hurt your S&S progress but consider dialing back your S&S days if you start feeling overtrained.

Consider following a strength-based fat loss program like Geoff Neupert's "Kettlebell Burn," especially if you don't like to run.  As a general rule, if you lose weight while lifting heavy things, you'll end up with better body composition than if you do it with more traditional cardiovascular exercise like distance running.

Good luck to you.

-S-

Of course as mentioned above, diet is the biggest part.

If you like to run for distance, then do that, for that.

If you want to run for fat loss, try sprinting.

That is an interesting discussion.  I know that there is supposed to be an optimum intensity level for fat burning.  I don't have it memorized, but is a percentage of MHR, and a fairly low intensity level at that.  But, I don't think the studies that measure such things account for the expenditure of fat it takes for the body to recover from more intense exercise.  If you look at the number of calories a person can burn during an exercise session, it is really quite low.  The number of calories burned between exercise sessions is much greater.  For fat loss, it seems like the better strategy is to maximize the calorie expenditure that occurs between exercise sessions, which points to more intense exercise.

This

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-reach-freak-level-fitness

&

This

http://breakingmuscle.com/endurance-sports/easy-endurance-using-the-magic-180-rule

Requires no recovery and should make you progress through S&S quicker. Would love to hear Pavel's thoughts.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I should have added, my diet is 'clean', remember the old adage about not being able to outsnatch a donut!

I also should have added that I do a bit of run/walk twice a week, taking it easy. I will implement the 'through the nose' test recommended by Steve Friedes if I continue running. I have to say - and I don't know whether this is due to resting (albeit actively) from S & S or whether my wind has really improved - but I feel I am better able to recover between sets of both swings and TGUs. Could be psychosomatic too, I guess.

From what you lovely folks have said, and from my own experience, what I may do is the podcast programs I have mentioned but just twice a week, not the prescribed 3x. It'll take me longer to complete them, but I'm in no rush.

Interesting thoughts from TheScientist, I may gravitate towards that kind of distance (400-800m) ince I feel I have a good base of aerobic conditioning.

Jason Paul - I am not fit enough to do sprints, which is a shame, because my brother does them once a week and loves them. He's also seen his distance running (he's just a 'for fun' runner 3-4 times a week) improve, he says.

Erik, really enjoyed reading those links, thanks for posting 'em.

Hi Peter, I have had some success with cutting weight by treating sprints as I do any strength building exercise - the weight loss - or rather the fat loss has been an added benefit - it wasn't the main objective.  I walk the dog each day and its anywhere from a short mile to 4 miles on the weekends - during every walk I run 2 sprints which range from 100 yards to 400 yards - sometimes uphill,  sometimes flat - just 2 -  that's it and the sprints are 85-90% efforts.  you don't need to be in great sprinting shape to run two sprints - but it will get you strong without burning you out and leave you fresh to tackle the day.  I do this while doing S&S 5-7 days per week.  it works great for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom