all posts post new thread

Old Forum Russian Bear frequency

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nthman1

First Post
Good morning, everyone.

Will the Russian Bear program for high sets to gain both strength and mass, as outlined in Power to the People, be effective if done twice a week? That's all the time I have.

Thank you.

O.

Yes, it could work. Please make sure you are careful about building up the volume.

Also remember that one should _never_ compromise form simply to achieve a desired rep number – always stop before your form suffers, and make sure the high volume sets are done with a weight that allows you to complete each set in good form. In the past, when I’ve done this protocol or similar, if I had my mind set on a particular number of sets, I would drop the reps towards the end as fatigue set in, e.g., 5 sets of 5 reps, then switch to triples for another set or two before stopping. The following workout, I’d go for the same number of sets but try to make that last set or two also 5 reps. Then and only then would I consider adding another set at the next workout.

Last but not least, I would consider planning a single cycle (6-12 weeks) of this protocol followed by something lower volume, perhaps even a peaking cycle to test your 1RM.

Hope that helps – let us know how it works out for you.

-S-

It's better 2x week, makes recovery much easier. I don't personally think you'd want to run this then go to a peaking cycle, much better ways. Also, no need to test 1rm unless you compete. You lift to build, not test. I think 5's are good for some, but 3's work great for higher sets also. Would help keep form better and less grinding overall.

Like Steve, I would not recommend the Bear if your form is not perfectly dialed in.  High volume and high intensity with poor technique are a bad mix.  I have been working towards the Bear for years and am thrilled to have finally started about six weeks ago.

I have been using the Bear to the letter as a RAW competitor, and I am thrilled with the results so far.  I cannot imagine doing more than 2x per week since I have barely recovered enough to hit my next workout.  Between workouts I do light recovery work including a day of yoga, sauna, inversion table, and plenty of ice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom