all posts post new thread

Old Forum S and S QL Straddle help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

william bad butt

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello. I've been reading articles & blogs & forum for a long time but this is my first post. Not too long ago (September) I accomplished half bodyweight press goal. I did not complete 200 snatch in 10 min with 24 kg goal (but I came really close). I am happy with strength progression so far and overall enjoyed the program. But after 12 months of ROP ETK I needed a change I was burned out. Since September I've been doing ETK+ from MILO. It is a wonderful program too (I've noticed major body composition improvements). Last week I purchased kindle and paper Simple & Sinister book. I love it! I feel real good about all the movements except for the QL Straddle stretch. I stink at it. I can't even come close to looking like Pavel in the picture. Nor do I feel the stretch in the right location. I think my groin muscles are too tight. Any opinions on what to do? Everything else always comes easy but this I'm struggling with. Thanks for your assistance.

nice to know i am not the only one having problems with this stretch:)

look forward to any suggestions for progressing with the QL straddle stretch

thanks!

Ok, me too,  although its getting better.  Holding on to/pulling against a piece of tubing is helping.  I don't understand why if I'm stretching my right side by reaching towards my left, my left side starts cramping.  I didn't realize I was so tight.

I think you need to have the range of motion to be able to sit in the straddle position without rounding your back out in order for this QL stretch to work.  Otherwise you will be crunching over with your abs and obliques to get into the position rather than relaxing and letting gravity pull you into the stretch.

In the book, Pavel says not to open too wide with your legs and use an exercise band hooked around something to pull on if need be.  This would allow you to relax your abs/obliques and have an effective stretch.  You may also want to work on improving your straddle stretch range as a separate exercise.

Best,

Chris

Eric, just a guess here, but it may be your hamstrings that are too tight and not your groin.  If you can stand straight with your feet at double shoulder width, there's your groin flexibility requirement.

Try stretching your hamstrings - standing toe touches, perhaps - before you do the straddle stretch.   Read Relax Into Stretch for good ideas about hamstring stretches.   See also both Super Joints and RIS for split switches and many other movements that can help with hamstring, hip, and groin mobility.

You might also try, while in the straddle position, reaching both hands out to first one foot and then the other - this can give the hamstrings a stretch before you try to hit the quadratus lumborum (QL).  Or start with a traditional seated toe touch, feet together or nearly so, then gradually widen the feet until you reach 90 degrees or so, then switch to focusing on the QL.

If you try any of these and they're helpful, please report back on your progress.

-S-

CTUOZZOLO, your first sentence is correct, I cannot sit on the floor with my legs separated without a rounded back. Pavel, I will practice everyday. Steve, well done and thanks! I think you are right. It seems so obvious reading your response, I cannot believe I didn't pick up on that myself. I will try what you have suggested and report back.

I apologize for asking about substitutions, but for the life of me I simply cannot relax into this stretch. I'm a Tin Man!

Would something like the Child's Pose or even the following supine stretch be acceptable?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5nnjeivCn1qb3hy6.jpg

At least I can target the QL with either of these and breathe easily.

Quick update. I have been focusing on hamstring stretches before the QL straddle stretch per Stevens advice. This is helping. I can now sit on the floor without a rounded back. I'm also using a cord around my foot to help facilitate the stretch. This one is going to take a while to master, but it will come. Also some days I do 1 arm swings and some I do 2 hand swings. When I do 2 hand they are always "shadow swings" with the bell that is closest to 30% of my weight, 28 kg. I pull this bell down with all my strength which taxes my grip and I think I am hinging more (greater range of motion maybe). As I practice and get better at these I am learning to stretch my hamstring's more - which is carrying over to help the QL straddle stretch. I don't have it all figured out yet, but my flexibility is improving.

Eric, I'm having trouble picturing how you'd wrap a cord around one foot to facilitate the stretch. So, if you're sitting in the straddle to stretch your right QL, do you hold the cord with your right hand overhead?

Flexibility like strength requires time and rest :) and proper breathing.. you will get there, don't get discouraged

Chris, if you're trying to stretch your right QL, you'd be reaching towards your left foot, so you'd put the cord around your left foot in order to have to reach only as far as the cord instead of all the way to your foot.

Eric, you make a very good observation about the kettlebell swing - done with proper attention to form, it will improve your hamstring flexibility.  For you or anyone else interested, please see this page on my web site which lists all of Pavel's flexibility resources:

http://www.kbnj.com/flexguide.htm

You'll notice I list the first two things as "must-read" and I'll repeat that here - get both books and you will learn a ton about improving your flexibility.

-S-

I've found a useful variation is to do it sitting in a chair with your legs apart.  If you are stretching your right hand side then hang on to the right hand side of the seat with your left hand (with your hand under or inside your right thigh).

Nice idea, Darren.  Make sure the chair is backed up against a wall or otherwise not going to slide.

-S-

does anyone have a link to a good video for the QL straddle stretch.

I looked but could not find one.

Thanks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom