all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Iron Cardio Minus the Snatch and Pull Up

Denys Carthusian

Level 6 Valued Member
Forgive me if this has been answered. I'm drowning in new reading material and own Brett's Iron Cardio (video and e book) and would like to get started ASAP on Iron Cardio but not drop S&S - given my history of injuries, I'm not wild about attempting snatches and pullups right away and think the Clean, Press, Squat sequence works much better for me. To have a light, medium, heavy day is it sufficient to simply play with duration (20 min, 30 min, 40 min)?

Forgive me if this has been answered. I'm drowning in new reading material and own Brett's Iron Cardio (video and e book) and would like to get started ASAP on Iron Cardio but not drop S&S - given my history of injuries, I'm not wild about attempting snatches and pullups right away and think the Clean, Press, Squat sequence works much better for me. To have a light, medium, heavy day is it sufficient to simply play with duration (20 min, 30 min, 40 min)?
Yes. Using 20, 30, 40 minute sessions is a great way to wave the load.

And without involving the other movements, traveling 2s and moving target is a great way to level things up for weeks and months ahead with just clean squat and press.

Yes. Iron Cardio does not "require" adding the snatch and pullup, and pairs very nicely with swings and getups, particularly alternating the IC days with Sw/GU days.

Is there a specific reason for you to start ICT ASAP? Don’t get me wrong ICT is one of the dream programs for me especially after getting Brett Jones Mind the gap. I am sure ICT is a great program/product. However my experience showed me that changing programs or mixing them does not always bring the best results.

Is there a specific reason for you to start ICT ASAP? Don’t get me wrong ICT is one of the dream programs for me especially after getting Brett Jones Mind the gap. I am sure ICT is a great program/product. However my experience showed me that changing programs or mixing them does not always bring the best results.
Need a way of sticking with S&S while working on other lifts and my previous injuries and imbalances. I found squats very effective many years ago on a double KB program from Neupert, but doubles are out for the time being, so this seemed to be a single kb way of low risk variety and injury rehab. Heavier Goblets and Zercher would also work on my core but I think Double KB Front Squats would be a little dicey until I make more progress on my stability.

I've actually toyed with S&S + IC off and on now for several months...looking at my logs I'm 17 weeks in, with a few brief pauses as I was figuring stuff out as I went. This winter I've allotted six out of seven days to training, with one rest day. I don't have any specific days where I use kettlebells, but by trial and error I settled on deciding to do three specific training days with kettlebell, then three 'active recovery' rest days using bodyweight, calisthenics, iso holds, etc. Generally in between the kettlebell days. Incorporated into the non-kettlebell days I would include some of the the Original Strength resets, Stu McGill's spinal health stuff, Aleks Salkin's 9 Minute Challenge (excellent, BTW).

By doing this I've found I feel better because I end up "doing something" six out of seven days. I've waved my load. I found I had to back off weight quite a bit early on and feel my way through old injuries, etc. But I feel like I've landed on a program that I could run for months or years on end. Which is my goal. You see, I only have three kettlebells; A 16KG, 24KG, and a 32KG. The past year and a half I would work up, then plateau, get niggling little problems and then have to back down. Or life would happen and I'd have to get in less training sessions per week. So with that said, remember, specific days are flexible, and need to be because my schedule gets so wonky, but a typical week might look something like this;

Mon - S&S...usually a little lighter in weight
Tues - Active recovery
Wed - Iron Cardio, single bell, usually with snatch and travelling "2's"...(I've actually gone as high as 10's with a lighter weight. And my last run through I tend to like to smoke myself just a little by doing something like five reps for all four movements each side. )
Thu - Active Recovery
Fri - S&S...usually this is more of a heavy day with a push for heavier weights.
Sat - Active Recovery

---

- Due to weird schedule conflicts I might skip a day of something, or move it around. Like Mon AC and mobility work, then Tues S&S, Wed IC, then two days of AC again and finish with S&S on Sat, for example. I've found this flexibility has given me more consistency to get in three solid days of KB sessions a week.

- Since trying to simplify in this way it has also given me the ability to play around with other stuff. My end goal is to be able to do the "Big 6" kettlebell movements with nothing but my 32KG bell, day in day out, perhaps for years. Call it a five year plan. Then with a heavier focus on joint health, mobility work, more bodyweight/gymnastic type work. After I hit fifty perhaps I'll look at moving up again in weight? I don't know. I no longer try to chase the weight. I still want this to be enjoyable. I'm just looking to age out gracefully and still be strong and mobile into the next 30 years.

- I've also been experimenting with Indian clubs for Active Recovery days and in warmup before kettlebells. I'm really liking these. I do believe I will eventually get into heavier club swinging too. I'm liking what the light clubs are doing for both of my bad rotator cuffs, elbows and grip, and even my spine feels more alive because of the torsion.

Attachments

• KB-Phase5.jpg
    KB-Phase5.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IC-Worksheet_2024-02-19.jpg
    IC-Worksheet_2024-02-19.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom