all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S and weight loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mben10

Level 1 Valued Member
I am trying to lose weight; 60 lbs. to be exact. And would like to know if I stick to the S&S protocol of 100 swings a day, will I lose weight. Or should I increase my swing volume to at least 300 a day ( once I get to that level). Also, doesn't swinging a kettlebell a 100 times equate to 100 calories burned ?  Any help with this would be thanked.

S&S will definitely help with weight loss, but diet is the most important element of weight loss. What are you doing on that front?

It's not as simple as 100 swings = 100 calories, it depends on the weight swung and the force.

Agree with Andy on this one. Weight loss is all about what you are eating. If you are able to focus on real foods (meats, veggies, fruits) and do S&S it is almost a guarantee you will lose weight. Keep in mind that you will build muscle too so body composition will change. Focus less on scale and more on how your clothes fit and you will see success.

Thank you both for your replies. I am going to try to go back to a healthier diet. I just wished I knew how to cook. That is my biggest draw back to easy fast food meals. I used to eat salads but that got monotonous. Sometimes also I drink a little wine before I go to bed. About 3 glasses 2-3 times a week. I have cut back on that though. I have also cut back on drinking an occasional beer during the day. Thank you again for your replies.

John, stay on S&S until you build up to 32kg, then consider a more specialized fat loss regimen, e.g. by Master SFG Geoff Neupert.

I will just let you know when I did high volume swings with the 16 or 24kg I lost some weight. When I did low volume(10x10) with 2x24kg I lost a lot more weight and got stronger. Just my observation.

Josh, I'm in the same boat as you. 

While my body composition has most certainly changed by using kettlebells as the main tool for making me a better man, I haven't lost the weight I want to lose.

When Americans (or at least this one) hear something like, "Lose weight without the dishonor of diet and aerobics," we tend to think it means we can do a few swings and then eat a pound of peanut butter.  In case you wanted to know, I love peanut butter.

While I certainly don't think we have to be extremely strict to the point where we are starving ourselves, I also think better food choices (at least for me) are what it is going to take to make it where my shadow does not eclipse an entire room.

Lately, I've been sensibly low-carbing it.  What I mean by that is I haven't been doing the whole, "Hey, let's get all ketogenic and only eat meat and cheese," but instead, "Hey, let's eat some meat and cheese and a salad."  Now, I said to heck with all of that yesterday and enjoyed some Mexican food, but that was for a celebration, so I think my body said it was okay.

Anyway, I have lost a few pounds in just the past few weeks.

As much as I would like to incorporate more cardio into my day considering my job is VERY sedentary, I just don't have the time and even if I wanted to, I'm not about to jog in Cleveland weather this time of year.  Alaska is looking at Cleveland right now and saying, "Dang, that's cold!"

But, what I try to do more often than not (although I haven't done it at all today) is take the stairs instead of the elevator.  I park further away at the Wal-Mart.  It's awesome because I don't have to find a spot.  I just park at the farthest spot.  No one is waiting on that one. 

I wish you the best of luck.  I really know how difficult it is to fight the battle of the bulge.

Battle of the Bulge is won in the kitchen first. My experience is once you clean up the diet, everything else falls in place with proper training.

I used guidelines from Mike Dolce's Living Lean mainly because it was pretty simple to follow and didn't involve me buying a crapload of stuff I normally wouldn't.

I'm using weight watchers online at the moment for weight loss they have alot of good tools. Im down 23 lbs now. One tip for cleaning up your diet if you dont like vegetables is to make a fruit/vegetable drink in your blender.  Most days of the week I put about 200 grams of leafy greens (spinach,swiss chard, chineese green cabbage, broccoli) in the blender with 2 cups of frozen fruit from walmart the bag has (pineapple, mango, peaches, and strawberries). 8 oz of 100 fruit juice of your choice, and 2 cups of water, and blend for about 2 minutes. yield is about 48oz and it provides about 12 servings of fruit and vegetables and the fruit with the juice cover up the vegetables.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom