all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S as QIII GPP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

caddo2000

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,

Bought the kindle version of the book, read it already 2 times and i am starting a 3rd read. Book is really great, congrats.

I have a question on using the program as GPP for a QIII sport. Once i am healed i plan to go back to Judo practice. I would like to use S&S as a GPP program, while i am playing.

What's the best way to program this? follow the normal book guidelines of swings and tgu daily, with the occasional day off, or would it be best to follow S&S only on days when i am not playing?

Riccardo, see how much energy you have and adjust the frequency accordingly.  A minimum of twice a week.

Hi Riccardo, BJJ player and sometime judoka here. I think S&S is one of the best plans you could follow as a grappler. Listen to what Pavel says, and remember, not every session needs to be as hard as it could possibly be. Progress slowly and steadily, and listen to your body.

Also, the more time you have between time at the dojo and S&S practice, the easier it will likely be.

Hi Pavel and Jason,

Would it be a good idea to use lighter KBs and volume on days where one practice the sport, or is tired? I would still take a full day off, but I am wondering if using an 8kg for TGUs and a 16kg for 5x10 swings would be better than doing nothing. This would be more akin to practicing than working out.

My suggestion is do it then your body will let you know. I have done many stupid things in the name of training and sometimes I make a mental note to self: either man I am glad I did that I feel better or don't ever do that again. Ultimately you are the one that will have to try it out and see if it works or not.

Ricardo - I'm also a BJJ practitioner/occasional Judoka.

Pavel's advice on a minimum of twice a week is perfect in between your training sessions. Just make sure you get proper recovery from your mat time and your bell time and follow the program as written.

When I followed the Program Minimum previously with my BJJ training, I dropped roughly 30 pounds, developed grips I had been wanting for a long time, and was more conditioned in my competition bracket than most of my competition.

It works.

Let us know how it goes for you!

I hope you actually have some kind of off season, preseason or whatever we call it today. Whenever I talk with martial arts guys, they are going all out all the time. You need to follow the simple suggestions here and follow through...

Remember the off season is also needed to recover and explore/learn different techniques

Thanks all.

I am not practicing at the moment, I have an elbow operation in February to reattach the medial tendon, so i am not allow to do Judo. This is really planning for April, once i should be cleared to train. Right now i am on a hypertrophy/strength program ( i still can use the arm fine for pushing or pulling, it's flexing on the side that is the problem), to get as much mass and strength i get before i have to stop for R&R.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom