all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S beginner. Get Up question.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JudyMac

First Post
I am a kettlebell beginner and am happily swinging 16Kg and about ready to move up to 20Kg.

However I'm having problems with the get up. For some reason My right hand side seems unable to stabilise the bell in midair, and it's only the 8Kg bell. I'm not having problems with my left side which strangely enough is the side with the sports injuries.

Should I concentrate on the half get up on the RHS until this problem improves? Also will it unbalance me too much to continue to develop the LHS where I'm about ready to go up a weight.

Ideas anyone?

Judy,

Welcome!

Post a video and show us ... most likely, your lat is not engaged during transitions.  Just keep practicing the get up using the appropriate load for each side... you'll improve over time.

Hi Judy,

i would continue to progress with the LHS, without fear of being unbalanced as long as you are sure that your technique is sound.  with the RHS go back to using a shoe balanced on the fist, as shown in S&S, or use a cup of water as suggested by Dan John.  the water will only stay balanced if the body stays properly braced and technique is solid.  As Al said, post a video if you can.

When you say "midair" at what stage of the getup are you referring to?  Are your eyes completely focused on the bell until you are about to stand, is your elbow ramrod straight, is your shoulder properly packed, is you wrist completely straight?

its an absolutely fantastic training tool, so stay committed and your form will come around, find an SFG to help, it's worth it to dial this exercise in and make it part of your daily routine.

all the best!

Thanks for the input! Since I didn't have a way of recording what I was doing, I found someone else at the gym who was into kettlebells and asked them to watch.

What we found was the RHS shoulder was not packed properly, because of sports injuries on the LHS I've always made sure that was tight, but the RHS wasn't.

When I rolled up to the elbow, I was trying to lead with the shoulder. In fact it works better for me to engage the core muscles and twist as though I were doing a situp. Breathing out as I move.

The rest needs practice but at least now I can feel what was going wrong.

Thanks for your tips that led me to ask for help, and I do intend to visit an SFG, there just aren't any near me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom