all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S confusion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sparks

First Post
I'm a little confused on how to get 100 swings in 5 min. with a 1 to 1 work/rest ratio. For example if it takes 20 sec to do 10 swings and I rest 20 sec, then I won't get 100 in five minutes. If I rest 10 sec. then I would make it, but that's not 1 to 1. I understand I need to do 10 swings every 30 sec to reach 100 in 5 min; I'm just confused about the rest period.  I may be overthinking this so a little clarity would be appreciated.

I think your swing speed might be a little on the slow side.  I've seen 40 swings per minute written in many places (though admittedly, not in S & S) as the most natural pace to swing at.

If that is the case, then 20 swings would take a person 30 seconds, and 10 swings would take about 15 seconds.  So at that pace, you could hit the 1:1 work/rest ratio.

If you are currently swinging slower than that, perhaps you could focus more on a powerful hip drive and get your speed up, but do not do that at the exclusion of good form.  Perhaps drop down a bell size on some days and work on some overspeed eccentric swings.  See pages 60 and 80 in S & S for a little more on that.

There are 19 work/rest periods, 10 work and 9 rest.  19 equal periods in a 300 second time period will be 15.79 seconds each.  10 reps in 15.79 S, then rest for 15.79 S, the last rep is exactly on 5 minutes.

When I do over speed eccentic back swing, I can get 10 in 15 sec.

But not when I'm letting the bell float.  So if equal work to rest ends up at 5 1/2 minutes that's OK with me.  Being to pedantic is a form of self sabotage.

Al

Yeah I agree if I let the bell float, even with good explosion from the bottom it takes a little longer.  Form must come first.

Hello Allan, about pedantic...

Just trying to be helpful.  I'm an engineer and I like math.  I could only sabotage myself I suppose.  But I find a clear target to be helpful.  Presently I'm at about 9 1/2 minutes with the 20Kg bell so I have a long ways to go.  I get the work portion done in 15 S, but I have to rest a lot more than that because I get really gassed.  I will rest as much as I need to get the swings done as technically perfect as I understand them.  I love S&S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom