all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Continuous Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
(From S&S Summarized, item 10.) "Every two weeks take a kettlebell one or more sizes lighter than the one you are currently swinging, and do as many swings as possible without setting the bell down."

Today I tried this with a 20kg, since I've been pretty solid with the 24kg for both swings and get-ups for several weeks, recently within the time guidelines.  Whew!  I got to 40 (10R, 10L, 10R, 10L without setting it down) and my breathing couldn't keep up.  Rested for a couple of minutes and repeated that, but same thing, limited by the breathing.

Just wondered what kind of numbers are expected (or experienced) when attempting the non-stop swings?  And how to get the breathing technique to keep up?

From all I've read, the advice and support on this forum is outstanding!  Thanks for any input!

Anna

I would have advised trying with a 16kg, and 2 handed first, but not bad for a first effort. Pavel gives goals to shoot for in the book. As far as the breathing, no magic bullet needed, just read the book carefully and follow the program. Sounds like you're doing really well with it so far; if, as I'm assuming from your username, your female, 24 for swings and getups is quite good.

Yes Jason, 40-something female, been doing getups for a year and a half and 2H swings that long, but just started putting in the time with the 1H swings the past 3-4 months.  Good idea, I will try the 16kg next time and see how far I can go with that.

Thanks!

As I recall in the book there is a picture of a gentleman swinging 48kg for 100 reps. Yikes! I don't know what is good either, I'd be interested to hear other people's numbers.

I actually forgot about that part of S&S, but I did do the 100 swings for Pavel's birthday with 24kg nonstop, switching hands after ten. My lungs gave out before anything else did, around 85 I was huffing and puffing.

I agree with Jason. You're doing excellent!

Anna-  I just did my first try at non-stop swings as well since I've been working with the 32kg as my normal bell.  If I understood correctly, 100 reps with a given bell is the reps goal.  The size bell goal, I believe is same as the Sinister goal for swings men and women.

I tried a 24kg, two handed and got 50 reps first time out non-stop.  My forearms, hands, and mid-back were sore the next day.

I don't think the idea is to do multiple swing sets on the test day.  Just rest for a bit after the test set, then do TGU's as normal.  All this info is in the book per my last reading.

Good luck!

my current S&S numbers are a bit above the Simple, single hand swings, 10L, 10R, 5 sets each with the 32kg, but not yet 5 minutes more like 6:30mins and TGUs comfortable with the 40kg back and forth without breaks 8:30 to 9 mins though not trying to rush just trying to be graceful.  when I do my 100 swing tests I use a 24kg and I do 10L, 10R until I hit 5 sets on each side - I don't put the bell down just switch hand to hand after the 10th.  the 100 reps comes in between 3:45min - 4:10min.

as far as the breathing - I inhale through the nose at the bottom, sometimes I inhale twice, 2 short draws, and I push out a sharp breath at the top with a bit of a grunt - I never over inhale or over exhale.  I focus on the hips pushing back and through, a solid plank at the top and im conscious of bracing at the top, with no back bend, and keeping my arms like ropes, the bell rarely comes past face level, more like chin, the working shoulder pulls back to stay as packed as possible and the non-working arm works in synch with the movement, swinging back with the backswing of the bell and coming up strong to the side of my head at the top, similar to Pavel's photo on the front of S&S.  I stay on my heels throughout the movement, keep my face slack, not tense, swing the bell tight to the crotch with my back flat, not arched but flat, head and eyes in line with back.  all that being said, I try not to over think the movement, strict repetitions over long periods of time have dialed most of these cues into the subconscious but I do still find myself focus on specific cues like "HIPS", "PLANK", "HEELS", "BREATHE" - the focus on the cues keeps my mind off of the discomfort at reps 70-80, after I get through that point, 80,  I know I am home free, only one set of 10 on each side and that gets me smiling inside.  by the way - its a fantastic 4minute workout when your time is short.  good luck

Thanks for posting this as I didnt read the details very well - I thought the simple goal should be met but for guys it is working the 32. Short of time today so gave it a blast with the 24 2 handed as first time. And a blast it was. Spontaneously combusting forearms at the final whistle. Try 1 hand next. Thanks for the reminder.

So many nuances to work on. That's something I love about S&S. Consistency and repetition really gives you a chance to give attention to the finer details. If you guys have the print or kindle version of S&S, consier geting the Audible version. I've listened to it 5 or 6 times and keep getting new insight. Having Pavel read it to you will really bring you the full impact!

Phil, glad to hear you made it to 100 with the 24kg.

Michael, 50 reps sounds good for the 24 and I'm guessing that is the expected soreness. You're right, I think it's just one set, I just just have to keep the round going.

Marchese, good to have a time reference for the 100 swings. I will time it next attempt and maybe video. Your description is great!

Alistair, spontaneously combusting forearms...lol... Good job, and good luck with the 1H.

I'll give it another go week after next and let you know how it goes.

Anna, I use the 32 for my regular days and have tested with both the 20 and 24. 20 was obviously way easier and I could easily bust out 100 reps in 2 minutes, but it was my grip that had enough. The 24 is trickier, and I could only get 85 reps in about the same time. And again, it was my grip.

The book says you may mix up the style however you want. What I usually do: 10L, 10R, 10 double, and repeat until I can't take it anymore. I find that either the two nasal breaths or one deep mouth breath in on the way down and a yelling exhale at the top allow me to keep my breathing at a good-enough rhythm. Also, "resting when the dirt's in the air" is a great strategy.

Good luck!

Anna-  Totally agree with you:

"So many nuances to work on. That’s something I love about S&S. Consistency and repetition really gives you a chance to give attention to the finer details...."

I've got kindle, audible, & print version.  Don't know if that's good or bad.   Prob got a few more listens than you at this point on the audible version :]   It seems truly a mile deep and an inch wide when you get into it [breathing, explosiveness, shadow swings/ lite days, non-stop swings, etc, etc, etc].

I've recently been working in 40kg TGU's.  WOW...forced to learn more, and fast with big jump for me from 32 to 40.  The 40kg TGU's got to build some STRENGTH along with laser like focus to keep it from crashing down.

Arryn, thanks, I bet the 10L, 10R, 10 2H is the way to go for grip and for breathing.  And I can definitely go for the "rest while the dirt's in the air" concept.

Michael, a mile deep and inch wide is right.  It's cool how if someone asks how the program works, you can tell them in about 30 seconds.  Then they can decide if they're interested enough to learn all about it.  Good job on the 40!  I'm solid on the 24 but haven't convinced myself to try that 32!  Fortunately my training buddy John Fox has a 28, he's brought it for me twice and I can do at least half the sets with that.  But I think he made me promise I'd try the 32 on Wednesday...  :eek:

I do continuous swings about once a month.  I am working on owning the 32k for S & S.  For continuous I usually use a 24k.  I do 10L 10R 10 hand to hand switches and 20 with two hands.  250 is my record.  It takes over 9 minutes.  I do light and easy swings.  Not much explosiveness for the continuous.  Is that correct?  I'm wondering why my numbers are extremely high compared to some others.  I know I'm not in any better shape than most here.

Josh, you're right, that does seem pretty high. Good job though! (You're not setting the bell down, right? Also, I do think they're supposed to be "perfect" swings, and stop when they're not.)

Pavel, thank you for that...  Although I am anything but an experienced fighter ;)... I can still understand the meaning and will take that to my next continuous swings effort.

I did my 2nd run through with non-stop swings.  I got 62 reps with the 24kg, two handed up from 50 reps the 1st time.  All were crisp, explosive before I gave up and stopped.  I felt good about this improvement and went into it just having gotten over being pretty sick for a few days previously.

It was much easier the 2nd time, just having had experience with one time through before.  I had also re-read the breathing section and did a sharp inhale through the nose on the way down and sharp exhale at point of max power.  A couple times, I tried two quick, sharp nasal breaths in on the down swing.  Also, I altered my grip in minor ways during the set to give different parts of my hands rest at different times.  For example, gripped less with index fingers and more with ring fingers for a few reps, etc.

Seems I'm still a long way off from 24kg x's 100 reps two handed non-stop, but was nice to see a good increase :]

I did better today, guys!  With all the above advice in mind, I pushed though that initial out-of-breath feeling and just kept the rhythm going as long as I could.  Using the 20kg, since I've been working with 24 & 28 for S&S sessions last 2 weeks, I did 205 swings in 5:15 min going 10R, 10L, 10 2H, repeat until the last 2 rounds where I did 5L, 5R, 52H.  Everything gave out at once - grip, power on the swings, breathing.  It actually felt great, though!  And then the onset of Alistair's "spontaneously combusting forearms"!  I wore the HR monitor and it got to upper 150's after a minute and held steady there till the end.

Great to hear so many inputs, and I hope to hear more as we repeat the "Die but Do" trials.

When it comes time to "open up " and do continuous swings, 1 handed is the way to go with all but the heaviest weights.

One handed gives the empty hand an opportunity to rest.

Learning to own the float is critical.

everything else is secondary to learning to control the breath though. You don;t breath well, you are done.

Congrats on your improvements, Michael and Anna!

Iron Tamer, I only recently realized how critical the float is, and how to actually implement it properly. Thanks for posting!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom