all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S every day?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ryanrbjj

Level 1 Valued Member
S&S is supposed to be done every day? I get to about 3 days in a row, and I feel trashed. I also do Bjj some nights.

How many days a week should I be doing S&S before progressing?

If you're feeling trashed from S&S, you're either moving up in weight too fast (I find a lot of people don't follow the book in this regard), compressing the rest periods too much too quickly, or are not getting adequate recovery (sleep, food, etc). I would increase rest, lower weight, etc until you can do the program more days per week, then build slowly from there. This is especially so if BJJ is a priority for you.

Thank you Jason! All I have access to is a 24kg bell. I plan to buy more in the future. I will increase the rest, and lower the volume of the swings. I can do 2 handed swing without any excess fatigue. Maybe I should build up volume slowly with the 2 handed swing then Switch to the one handed?

I actually bought a 20kg bell to go down in weight and own all the movements.  It made a huge difference. I spent 3 weeks doing S&S with it until I really felt I was at Maximal effort on every swing and completely owning every part of the get up.

I worked in the 24kg as suggested in the Get up part of S&S and after a few weeks of that I was only using the 24kg. When that felt solid, I began to use the 32kg, again, as suggested in S&S. My goal is to achieve the Simple goal by the end of the year, and to begin adding a 40kg bell. I'd like to hit the Sinister Goal by my 45th birthday in May 2015.

I am taking my time now because I rushed in the very beginning after I came back from the SFG I in Nashville. All I had was a 32kg bell and a pair of 16kgs. My ego said 32kg, my body said I was an idiot.

I am sticking to the philosophy that I should be able to do this routine on any day at any time and feel charged up by it rather than beaten down.

hope that helps.

Ryan, I also do martial arts and I cannot do S&S 6-7 days per week along with that. I currently train martial arts two days and S&S 4-5 days, depending on how I feel on Sundays. Even then, I only go two of the S&S days as heavy, and the other 2 (or 3) days light/medium.

Also, learn from what everyone else says (and the book), and make sure you take as much time as you need before advancing to the next bell size.

I train 3-4 times a week and teach a total of 7-9 BJJ classes a week.  I used to do S&S three days a week.  Now I have cut it back to twice each week.  One day I do the program minimum for 12 minutes of easy swings with jogging as an active recovery.  I like the 2 x S&S, 1 x program minimum.  I feel a lot better and the S&S is fun again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom