all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S FOR TEENAGER

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crash123

Level 3 Valued Member
I have just started my 14 yr old daughter on S&S.  She is more of a serious student than a serious athlete, but she wants to get into better shape and my perspective is that bullet proofing her through S&S is better than pushing an aerobic conditioning program.  She will be playing a Spring field sport which begins in March.  We started with a 20lb KB for goblets and swings and she is doing TGUs with the sneaker as shown in S&S.  Our focus is technique, technique, technique at this point.  As much as I would like this to help her get in shape for the Spring, I am more concerned about her building a foundation of strength and program construction for life.  My main questions are; are there any contraindications I need to be aware of in training a teen?  has anyone in the forum had any experience with training teens and if so, any tips?  S&S is perfect because it is short an sweet, so I can pull her away from her "teen life" for 20 minutes and get in an effective training session.  so far, it has been her asking me each evening when we are going to "do kettlebells".   All and any suggestions are welcome.  thanks.

Well, I have over 30 years coaching HS (and college and...).  First, the best and worst moments of my coaching career have been working with my daughters. From the highs (state champ, certified as KB instructor, both competing in the discus at state in the finals) to the lows (coaching your own daughter!), it is an experience in giving and learning.

Do NOT ignore the short warm up. The Pelvic Tilt (the second exercise) is something that might do a world of good for her the rest of her life. Those three moves are perfect...if she throws the javelin, it's the best thing I know. Those two extra stretches, from my experience, won't do much for a 14 year old girl, but teach it so she can keep it in her pocket for "later." And, there is always later...

I STRONGLY suggest you switch out the shoe for half a glass of water. Use a plastic cup and put it on her fist. In my experience, nothing teaches the focus of strength for teen females better than this. If she bends the elbow, loses Zenith, or stumbles, we say "Baptized!" and we all laugh. She will buckle down, flow better, tighten up and learn the basics of strength.

Whether or not this is a good or bad choice, don't worry about it. We can't help but open the internet and fine more things to do.  Trust the process. Here is what we know for sure: I doubt she will get hurt doing this...seriously doubt it, she will certainly knit up the area between the shoulders and hips, she will learn to pack and move the shoulders, she will learn the hip hinge and the squat, her grip will improve, she will learn how to snap the glutes (superior sports performance key one) and she will have some time with you.

Can you do more "more?" Sure, but don't. Trust the process. Have one or two tiny assessments like a Vertical Jump or Three Long Jumps in a row...boing, boing, boing style. Maybe even a biannual FMS test...whatever. Any kind of "this is better" assessment is all you need. Lindsay add sixteen feet to her shot put during high school...that was one simple assessment.

I have a book on my website, "From Dad to Grad." You can get it on Kindle, but they make you pay for it (I wanted it free or 99 cents). I am expanding it into another edition, but I wrote this when Kelly, who is now a mother and in her third year as a First Grade teacher) was 14. Let me just say this: it happens fast and enjoy it.

You could do far worse than S and S...I'm not so sure better. If you are looking for the Perfect Program, be sure to watch "Groundhog Day." The writer said in an interview that they had figured that he repeated that same day "tens of thousands of times" before he figured out how to move on.

A perfect program is like that: you will let a lot of living go by before you ever find it...I doubt you will. So, dive into the deep waters of S and S and, like Captain Pickard: "Make it so." Focus on the journey towards the perfect swing and Tai Chi Get Up and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

And, I envy you a bit...

ENGAGE

Dan,

thanks so much for responding.  My daughter's name is Kelly as well (and she is interested in teaching grammar school, go figure), my other daughter's (age 12) name is Livia - so we both have a K and an L, not sure how that adds to the forum ...

I love the glass of water suggestion, will implement that tonight.  We will apply the program to the letter, including the warm ups.  no sense teaching her the "what doesn't kill you ..." anthem her meathead dad lived before finding ETK.

I am very fortunate to be in this position, I have had the pleasure (/frustration) of coaching my girls in swimming and lacrosse and I am happy to say that they both still speak with me.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond in detail, your words are very encouraging.  I picked up "Dad to Grad" and "Intervention" and look forward to reading and re-reading.

Although, I have been with S&S for only 2 weeks, I have been using the ETK PM for the past couple of years as my foundation and it has worked wonders.  Correcting weakness in my body and, what I find just crazy,  is that I'm weekend warrior running on the lacrosse field better than I have in years and I am not running.  I mean the only time I run is when I play.  I use to run 3 to 5 days per week and I was riddled with calf strains, hamstring pulls, back pain.  now I swing an iron ball and get up off the floor and (to steal one from Frost) that has made all the difference.  So Trusting the Process will not be difficult for me, I am reformed and a believer ... to infinity and beyond! (buzz lightyear).

all the best,

Mike

Marchese: both of my daughters, 16 & 13, worked out with me this past summer. KB dead lifts, TGU's, swings, presses, loaded carries,  and pull-ups. Both got considerably stronger and faster. Workouts never lasted more than 30 minutes and that included 10 minutes of swings. Both girls got to where they used a bell that was 35% of bodyweight for swings  and used the 44 kg bell for multiple sets of 5 on dead lift. Neither one of them enjoyed TGU's but did them, got stronger, and didn't have any of the shoulder problems that so many of their volleyball team mates had. Both got all district in volleyball.

My oldest daughter will only workout with me if I just absolutely make her and says that's just something she's willing to do over the summer (growing up way to fast!!  She was like 12 years old yesterday!). So... I'm anxiously awaiting Summer. My youngest is dead lifting once a week (1 1/2 times bodyweight 2x5 last week, really easy) and doing S&S 2-3 times per week depending on basketball schedule. Getting stronger, faster, and more athletic all the time.

Dan: Thanks for letting us know importance of Pelvic Tilt. Also, From Dad to Grad is just a real pleasure to read. Thanks for writing that. You have shared some real gems with us over the years, but that one's way up at the top of the list.

Kash

Kash,

thanks so much for responding.  I have been encouraging my younger daughter (now 12) to join in the fun, but so far, she peers over her glasses and give's me that "yeah right" look and walks upstairs.  she is a volleyball player and a swimmer and I was thinking just what you wrote, that TGUs would be GREAT for her shoulders.  it's extremely encouraging to read your response and the response from Dan, as most people look at me like i'm nuts when I mention that I am introducing my daughter to the KB.  but i'm an old barbell junkie and KB's have given my body new life and if the only torch I can pass onto my daughters is how to be strong using a simple KB program than I feel I have accomplished a ton.  the two of you have done it ... what a gift.

thanks for the encouraging words,

Mike

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom