all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S goals by age/weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mark K

First Post
I've been following S&S for 5 weeks now.  I can perform my getups with a 24 consistenly within 10 minutes.  Single hand swings are now breaking 7 minutes and improving.  I'm thinking about progress in the next several weeks and would like to get opinions on a weight increment.  I'm 51 and weigh 150.  Is it reasonable to attempt moving from the 24 to the 32 or am I likely to run into trouble based on my size?  I've read S&S pretty thoroughly as well as the forums for the past month.  I think I know the answer but am looking for reassurance. 

Mark

I’m also new to S&S and from what I’ve read, you should be working in the 32 for your get-ups and maybe your swings.....

the swings and TGUs don't have to be the same weight or progress at the same pace.

Mark, you might not progress as quickly as those younger and heavier than you, but as long as you take your time you should be fine with the 32. Make sure you do it one rep at a time, don't focus on the clock, and take steps back when needed.

I know about a dozen men 10-20 pounds lighter than you, all of whom progressed from the 24 to the 32 with no issues. Totally doable, just make sure you own the level you're at first, and follow Andy's advice above.

I'm 43 and weigh 152. I just got a 32 last month and have been working it in. I was about where you are with the 24. I'm currently using the 32 for two sets of swings and two sets of TGUs. I'll probably stay at this point for several more workouts, as it's pretty tough, and I have a lot of stress at home right now.

I thought I would never even need to buy a 32, and now I have one and am using it. I'm in no rush, and hope to be using it exclusively for all sets in the next 4-6 months, if not sooner.

I also agree on the time issue too. I don't really even keep track, except to test occasionally. I think I've tested three times in about five months.

Mark, Pavel gives no concessions for age in S&S. I'm 50 and found S&S a few months back. As others have said, us oldies may have to take it slower than those young things. What may appear a disadvantage is perhaps an advantage. I was working the 32 in the swings and after a video analysis here it was obvious my form was off and a correction/focus was detailed by the good people here on the forum. So I've taken a step back, untimed sets with the 24 to adjust and tune up my form. I'm not sure that is an age thing necessarily - letting go of ego and a push yourself mindset - but it is a strongfirst thing, a S&S thing.  It is a very grown way of training and in that sense age doesn't matter, it may well be an advantage!

Wonderful information and expected - thanks for the advice.   Excellent point about the 32 Jason. I initially didn't think I would need a 24!  Ill start shopping for a 32 next week.

I feel the same way about age Alistair.   What I'm lacking in rate of improvement and recovery is more than made up for by patience and persistence. I'm stronger now than I was at 40 and plan on being stronger yet at 60.

Mark

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom