all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S: I’ve been waiting to write this post for a while now…

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lee_Freeman

Level 4 Valued Member
I’m a big fan of Strongfirst forum – like many I read it regularly and benefit from the wisdom shared here. This is my first post on SF, which I’ve been tempted to do for a while but now seems the right time.
I’ve tried most things over the year and have generally kept myself fit and strong using programs such as ETK, PM, and I’ve read all of the workings of Pavel and Dan John.
Unfortunately due to age and mileage I’ve picked up my fair share of injuries and issues so my goal this year was to “focus on the weaknesses”. My biggest issues were a lower back tightness/pain I’d had for almost 5 years and mild elbow tendonitis (on and off for a couple of years). My back (if I’m being honest) had got to a point where it was getting me down, it affect my patience at work and with my young children – and I’d resigned myself to the fact I’d seen my better days of training.
This part will resonate with a lot of the people here – at the beginning of the year I saw one doc who told me never to swing another kettlebell, and take it easy, my back was chronic etc etc. I spent 3 months doing bodyweight work and felt no better so decided to seek a second opinion I was told my previous diagnosis was nonsense, I had a number of issues but in short it all came down to a lack of strength in certain areas (glutes,abs) and poor movement patterns
After a brief period of correctives/re-hab, I decided I would go back to the place I can trust. Pavel – and S&S. I cleared this with my physio first.
Since January, my training week has consisted of:
S&S 5-6 times per week; Wing Chun 4 hours; and 1 long run (increasing distance).
- I included the long run because I’d entered a tough mudder.
The reason I’m posting today: I completed Tough Mudder in London yesterday – comfortably. This was the acid test – and I passed I was perfectly prepared. S&S is pure Genius,
I have NO back pain! Literally none, my elbow is 9/10 and everything working fine.
The key messages:
1. S&S works – don’t change it: On both fronts, I’ve addressed weakness and got the strength/conditioning I needed to complete yesterday
2. The S&S warm-up is as important as the “heavy bit”. On days I don’t train I still do the warm up.
3. I lost almost a stone. Without changing diet much.
4. For those training for a mud run – I would suggest S&S as the basis.
5. Its always repeated on the forum but “STICK WITH THE PROGRAM” – Trust it!
What next for me?: S&S; drop the running; and enjoy life. When ready I’ll move back to ETK ROP and ROTK.
Pavel. Thank you sir! I will make sure I put a review on Amazon accordingly too.

Congratulations.  I to am enjoying S&S.  I used the earlier version of the Program Minimum to prepare for mud runs (Tough Mudder and Spartan).  There isn't a better program out there to prepare you and still enjoy life.

Lee, congratulations to you!  If you haven't already, please post a review of S&S on amazon.com or anywhere else you can think of.

-S-

Lee, thank you for your kind words!

Do not ignore doc's advice but don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom