all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sets of military presses with the 32 sure seemed easy and light after doing 5 reps of a 300 lbs deadlift! Hahaha!

I love the time-effectiveness of heavy lifting! 5-10 reps of 300lbs deadlifts and some 32kg presses, and I keep very strong!

No replacement for S&S, but good stuff all the same!

Did this yesterday:

• 310lbs barbell deadlifts X 10
  • 10X10 2h swings with the 40kg KB
  • 5X2 TGUs with the 32kg KB
  • 15 minutes of jogging in the basement
  • 5 chinups
I'm starting to think that a problem with me doing 1h swings with the 40 is the thickness of its handle - it is the "Russian" kind, more adapted for 2h swings, with a very thick handle.

Did 1 hour of randori (judo standup wrestling) followed by half and hour of newaza (ground wrestling) with a BJJ brown belt in my club. The standing stuff is more mobility and movement based, and the ground stuff more about isometric holds and muscular endurance. Needless to say I'm too sore today for S&S, hahaha! But, yet again, I have to say that S&S is ideal preparation for judo and similar!

Needless to say I'm too sore today for S&S, hahaha! But, yet again, I have to say that S&S is ideal preparation for judo and similar!

I'm walking the same path. A couple of hours of martial arts doesn't leave a lot of room for a strength session, but S&S, when you can get it in, enables that couple hours of martial arts. I'd say that's what we want.

Did a bunch of deadlifts at 310lbs followed by lots of presses with the 32kg and 24kg bells, and some snatches too with the 24. I was too sore still from Friday's judo to do S&S.

Did 5 reps of deadlifts with the 310lbs barbell followed by all kinds of double military presses with the 24s and the 32s and then single military presses, and then rack carries in different combinations. THEN, I went to judo and fought hard for an hour!

Did all kinds of double and single presses with the 24s and 32s before going to judo tonight. Lots of fun! They don't interfere with judo training (whereas the S&S stuff can't be done on the same day as judo without overtiring myself.)

Bad cold. Sick and limping. All my judo joints are very stiff and sore. I've been lifting lots of weights and doing lots of intense judo. I don't know how to balance these two loves. I'll blame it maybe on the cold that weakened my whole body. In any case, I'm going to force myself not to exercise for a few days and hopefully recover.

Bad cold. Sick and limping. All my judo joints are very stiff and sore. I've been lifting lots of weights and doing lots of intense judo. I don't know how to balance these two loves. I'll blame it maybe on the cold that weakened my whole body. In any case, I'm going to force myself not to exercise for a few days and hopefully recover.

yes, sickness brings about temporary weakness, sometimes very intense weakness!

hope your cold goes away soon

It's been 4 days since my last training and I've been a sick invalid for the whole time. Maybe today I'll try to go out for a walk. Thank God for walking - it's a worthwhile exercise I can do when I can't do any other exercise.

I haven't gone on a proper "walk" (i.e. over an hour in length) for at least half a year. I feel so much better after doing it. It's like it put all my joints back into place and improved my circulation. Definitely walking is important, and I am going to keep doing it.

Did another 75 minute walk today in the freezing cold.

I'm really upset with my sore left knee preventing me from doing getups and thus from doing S&S properly. Oh well. I still did a battery of different kinds of presses today.

Did 140 1h swings with the 32kg bell today followed by some presses. I also walked for over 90 minutes. The swings felt pretty easy. My sore left knee is preventing me from doing getups leaving me to focus on the swings in S&S. Considering how easy they feel now, it might be time to try to go back up to 40kg for them. I think I got my sore left knee because God wants me to achieve Sinister and it is forcing me to focus on the swings - I was able to do the getup component of Sinister long long ago already! I want the Sinister qualification from SF.

I used to think that kettlebells were just a "poor man's gym" but now I think the conditioning aspect of them combined with their mobility makes them superior for functional real-world strength to most anything else, thinking especially of their signature move, the swing. In any case, I'll feel very satisfied if I do my "daily dose" of swings with the 40kg bell. We'll see where this goes.

Yes, I think I'll have to resort to it. The windmill might be another. I wonder which is better.
I stopped get ups due to bad knees whilst progressing with the 40kg. I've found the bent press to be a good replacement. I would say the bent press is superior to the windmill as a strength/mobility exercise .

I'll be following Steve Frieds' advice about changing programmes in regards to S&S due to my bad left knee. I'll be substituting military presses and a bit of windmilling in for the TGUs. I'm also going to do a daily dose of 140 1h swings with the 32kg bell because I'm in a hurry to get all trimmed up and back into good shape after being sick for so long!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom