all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Surprisingly I haven’t watched it yet, even that historical reenactment is my dearest hobby.
You need to start watching it then. It is really quite amazing. So is "The Last Kingdom", which deals with the same time period. I think both are available on Netflix.

You need to start watching it then. It is really quite amazing. So is "The Last Kingdom", which deals with the same time period. I think both are available on Netflix.
Thanks for the advises. We have Netflix, but I don’t have the time. I check those a.s.a.p.

Thanks for the advises. We have Netflix, but I don’t have the time. I check those a.s.a.p.
Well, I think it would be worth your while to watch at least one episode of each, and then make up your mind, if you're into this stuff. They are really very well done. They made me passionate about the Viking Age. I have bought and read dozens of books on the period.

Well, I think it would be worth your while to watch at least one episode of each, and then make up your mind, if you're into this stuff. They are really very well done. They made me passionate about the Viking Age. I have bought and read dozens of books on the period.
Oh, I’ve watched one episode here and there of both. I’ll get back to them.

I study Iron and Viking age, not in a school though.

Oh, I’ve watched one episode here and there of both. I’ll get back to them.

I study Iron and Viking age, not in a school though.
Yes, me too, the Iron Age as well. They both go together. Beowulf is technically Iron Age, for instance, and it's one of my favourite books.

I did read Richard Hall’s Exploring the World of the Vikings.
Something I've already noticed after only a few month of reading is how differently each author/historian tells the story of the Viking Age. In any case being interested in this is helping keep my spirits up during this Covid era of being kind of isolated.

Something I've already noticed after only a few month of reading is how differently each author/historian tells the story of the Viking Age. In any case being interested in this is helping keep my spirits up during this Covid era of being kind of isolated.
Yes. But we’ll pull it through. Do you live near Newfoundland? Vikings lived there and called it Vinland.

Yes. But we’ll pull it through. Do you live near Newfoundland? Vikings lived there and called it Vinland.
I live West of Newfoundland in a province called Ontario, which means "Beautiful Lake".
Actually, the Vikings are giving me some kind of spiritual comfort to get through this depressing/boring time. They seem to have accepted a kind of realistic/pessimistic view of life and the world but were determined to survive and thrive as best they could. I would have had Viking ancestors on my father's side, but I don't think ancestry is the point - it's more for me about learning a whole new level of strength, this time it's spiritual strength. I think I relied on my martial arts training as a kind of spiritual crutch. In any case, I live somewhere to the West of Vinland.
Your profile says you live in Finland. I've been curious about Finland in the Iron/Viking Ages.

I live West of Newfoundland in a province called Ontario, which means "Beautiful Lake".
Actually, the Vikings are giving me some kind of spiritual comfort to get through this depressing/boring time. They seem to have accepted a kind of realistic/pessimistic view of life and the world but were determined to survive and thrive as best they could. I would have had Viking ancestors on my father's side, but I don't think ancestry is the point - it's more for me about learning a whole new level of strength, this time it's spiritual strength. I think I relied on my martial arts training as a kind of spiritual crutch. In any case, I live somewhere to the West of Vinland.
Your profile says you live in Finland. I've been curious about Finland in the Iron/Viking Ages.
Spiritual comfort is flowing from the Mother Earth. When you find it, your martial arts skills will go through the ceiling. Walks in the forest will help you find it.

Yes, I live in Finland and the worlds biggest viking graveyard known to man is nearby me in Eura Luistari area. 1300 viking corpses found so far.

Spiritual comfort is flowing from the Mother Earth. When you find it, your martial arts skills will go through the ceiling. Walks in the forest will help you find it.

Yes, I live in Finland and the worlds biggest viking graveyard known to man is nearby me in Eura Luistari area. 1300 viking corpses found so far.
Thank you for the advice. I have noticed that walks in the forest had spiritual value. I'll take them more seriously. I think getting myself cut off from mother earth has been the problem. I need to connect to the Earth Mother more.

Yes, I got the impression that the Vikings were not able to fare well against the Finns. The Vikings conquered half of England however (thus the Viking heritage I assume there is on my father's side.)

Oh, I made a mistake above. I've got Viking ancestry on my mother's side too. I had forgotten that the Swedes were Vikings. But again, I don't think it's about ancestry, but about connecting with effective spirituality, which the Vikings (and others) have discovered through the years, which continues today of course.

I'm on Season 2 Episode 3 of Norsemen as of today. Hilarious!

Yes, Norse, Danes and Swedes were called vikings or varangians. Finns were mostly just Finns. If one joined vikings, the the person became one.

Connecting to globe, you nailed it. That was it what I was after.

Yes, Norse, Danes and Swedes were called vikings or varangians. Finns were mostly just Finns. If one joined vikings, the the person became one.

Connecting to globe, you nailed it. That was it what I was after.
Ah, so Finns joined in too. I see. :)

Ah, so Finns joined in too. I see. :)
Finns were not considered as vikings per se, geographically speaking, but there’s a lot of grave foundings in here. Most of the swords have found here.

I’m a pagan myself and it has helped to connect with the earth.

Finns were not considered as vikings per se, geographically speaking, but there’s a lot of grave foundings in here. Most of the swords have found here.

I’m a pagan myself and it has helped to connect with the earth.
Very interesting to me!
Is this specifically traditional Finnish paganism, Norse paganism or something else?

Very interesting to me!
Is this specifically traditional Finnish paganism, Norse paganism or something else?
I was baptized to Christianity when I was born, but got rid of it. My paganism is kind of mix of the Finnish and Norse. I don’t do rituals or such. I sing Finnish traditional spells sometimes. Odin and Ukko Ylijumala walks hand in hand in my thoughts. I wear Thor’s hammer pendant.

I was baptized to Christianity when I was born, but got rid of it. My paganism is kind of mix of the Finnish and Norse. I don’t do rituals or such. I sing Finnish traditional spells sometimes. Odin and Ukko Ylijumala walks hand in hand in my thoughts. I wear Thor’s hammer pendant.
I know about Odin but not about Ukko Ylijumala. Is this the Finnish name for Odin?

What do you think about when you think about them?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom