all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Newbie ? - protecting lower back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

brownstudy

First Post
First time on this site, first post on this board.

I've used kbs off and on the last few years; had a shoulder injury two years ago from a too-vigorous class where I did not use my head, so have been slowly reintroducing them to my home workout routine. I used Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Express programs as my routines.

I am 6'3", 210 lbs, belly fat, sedentary job (writer). Doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting and eating sensibly, though I don't follow a Paleo or any other dietary protocol.

Bought the S&S book and audiobook after listening to Pavel's interview with Ferris and I love the material. I've been folding it in slowly; unless I have a conflict, I get up every morning to do the 3 warmup sets. I spent a week just understanding the warmup exercises and working to own them. I added the Hip Hinge and then added in 2 sets of 10 deadlifts.  When I'm confident I own those, I'll move to the swing and then the TGU.

Yes, I'm taking it slow and I'm using measly kbs -- 10lb (warnups) and 25lb (deadlift). My focus is on getting the technique right.

Here's the question: in the warmup, I'm doing the hip bridge as described (I believe) but my lower back starts talking to me when I reach the peak. Am I not squeezing the glutes enough? Are my feet too far away from my body or not close enough? Am I hyperextending the pelvis? How hard should my knees be pressing in on the shoes?

I'm also feeling some lower back tingling after a set of deadlifts. I've not hurt my lower back, but it's letting me know something is up.

Any tips or clues? Thanks.

Mike - Durham, NC

Mike,

Welcome to the forum.  I won't attempt to advise you, except to say that you've got a Senior SFG Instructor nearby in Durham, NC.  Go see Betsy Collie at Rapid Results Fitness!  She can give you a quick spot-check on your form, and you may find some other training there you're interested in.

Mike, welcome to StrongFirst!

Your back should not be hurting.  Please see a doc and find out what is the problem.  After that a class with Betsy is a great idea.

Thanks, all, for your replies. Much appreciated!

Pavel: I am taking your advice seriously and have scheduled a meeting with my doctor for next week. I'll show him the exercises that are activating my lower back and see what he says.

Thanks also for reminding me of Betsy's studio. It's about a 8-minute drive from my house. Paying for an hour of her time would be a good investment to ensure I avoid injuries later.

Thanks for the support and advice -- Mike

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom