all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S noob question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
3rd day and very impressed. Starting with 16 kg for both exercises and it feels about right. I train early a.m. and by lunch or a bit after I would love to have at again so I know I am working at about proper intensity.

Question on warm-ups--When teaching the mobility drills, Pavel says to do 5 reps each. Later when introducing the actual program he says to start with 3 circuits of mobility exercises.  Does that mean 5 reps of one, then 5 of the next, etc and repeat that sequence 3 times? That would seems almost a full workout in itself to my battered old self...

Yes, you are correct. If you have to rest in the middle of a warm up set, do so. When I first started the program, the warm up felt surprisingly taxing, but that went away quickly. When you get strong enough, you can up the goblet squat weight to match your swing weight.

Don't skimp on the warm up; it's a great mini-workout in itself. It limbers you up in all the right places and if you match your swing weight it will strengthen your upper back (keeping that chest up!) and give your biceps some work too.

Thanks Derrick. I have already noticed the amount of "work" the warm-up is and I was only doing 1 set of 5! Onward to 3 sets... I did do a curl at the bottom of first 4 goblet squats which added quite a challenge to back to maintain posture during. I am really liking this... And I am only using a 16 kg for everything.

I was on a meditation retreat last 13 months and only did minimal bodyweight stuff, a few basic movements plus some walking so very out of shape but on my way back. Before I left I could do back to back 3 or 4 TGU's w/ 24 kg on each side and swing it like I meant it. Funny/strange feeling to have that clear body memory but the strength just is not there (yet) to duplicate what I could do.

Thanks again

Onward!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom