all posts post new thread

Old Forum S+S, one-handed swings and time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Al S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Have been practicing S+S for 6 weeks now. I am still using a 24 kg bell. On days when I have felt strong I've done the 10 sets of 10 in 5 minutes of one handed swings and the 5 sets of TGUs in 10 minutes.

This is not a question about moving up in weight. I don't feel that I own this just yet. I can do it when I'm feeling strong but not "on any day" like the manual says. I am certainly still learning the movements.

My questions is: would it be better to back off the number of one handed swings and do some two handed OR stay with one handed exclusively and increase my rest between sets?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Al S.

Nice work, Al.

I would stick with all 1 handed swings.  Rest more on the days you feel you need it, and rest less on the days you don't.  There is no reason to purposely build in more rest.

I personally do not time most of my sessions.  I find this really helps me go by feel.  Some days, get the watch out and see where you are, but most of the time just keep doing 10 1 handed swings whenever your body feels ready.

Thanks brain d,

I've been using a Gymboss timer to keep my from resting too long. But, perhaps I've been falling back into old habits of more, more, more, faster, faster, faster!

It's what I really love about S+S - the no rush philosophy to strength gains. Thanks for the reminder! I'll try and practice my patience.

- Al S.

Hi Al,

I was where your at 9 months ago, and I started incorporating the 32 kg Swings right away.         Once I was using the 32kg for all sets of swings, i tested with the 24kg and it was laughable easy to do the swings in under 5 minutes. 

Al

Al S. Per the book keep with one handed swings now!  Start working in 32kg one handed swings ASAP starting with the 3rd or 4th set and building.

I'm in exactly the same place you are but with the 32kg.  I need to work the 40kg in, even though I don't TOTALLY own 32kg.  I can do the swings most days in 5min if I push it and psyche up.  But not every day like right after I roll out of bed without coffee and a hangover :]

40kg is HEAVY to me and grip is a challenge.  TGU's too.  I can get a couple TGU's, but need to FOCUS to keep it from crashing down.

I can crush the 24kg swings pretty much any time (even with hangover and before pickle juice :] )

I agree - stick with one-handed swings and slowly start introducing the 32kg, maybe just one set for a while. I think it will help your progress with the 24kg. You may even only be able to do five reps at a time due to the grip requirement.

I also agree about timing. I only plan to time myself when I feel strong with all five sets (each arm, of course) of swings. I don't think you should time every workout - only when it counts, when testing yourself.

Another thing I did (and still do) when working up to the 32kg, is simply holding the kettlebell for time. I may simply hold it at my side, or maybe march in place (or actually walk) while holding it this way. Or, I may push press or jerk it overhead and hold it, or maybe just do this with the 24kg if the 32kg is too heavy. Of course, overhead holds are more helpful for TGUs.

Doing all of this, I've had a similar experience as others posters above. The 24 almost feels like a toy in the swing and TGU.

For some perspective, when I first started S&S, I was fairly strong in both exercises with the 16kg, and immediately started slowly adding the 24kg. I couldn't even get a full 10 one-handed swings with it. I had to do sets of five.

After 4-5 months, I bought a 32kg and started working it in as I said above. After 4-5 months of that (very sporadic workouts, not consistent), I'm using the 32kg for all but one set in both the TGU and swings. There was a time when I thought I'd never even need to own a 32kg, thinking it would be too heavy. Now I'm working with it almost exclusively.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to encourage you to stick with it, and don't be afraid to start working a bit with the 32kg (if you have one, of course).

But if you just have the 24kg, I would say again, stick with one-handed swings, and don't test yourself in every session. Another reminder that S&S is an "easy strength" program, so there's no rush. You're still making progress.

Thanks Gents,

Am on vacation so will start adding the 32kg when I return.

I will also stop using the timer for my sets. I did that the other day and found that I still finished the swings in 7 minutes just by feel.

How many days a week do you guys train S+S? I'm usually good for 5-6 days a week with work schedule and days that I go hiking (which I count as a day off).

This really is the greatest program I've done.

-Al S.

Awesome, Al.  I found when I was not paying attention to the timer and feeling pretty good finishing the swings in close to 6 minutes, that I could go ahead and push for a sub 5 just about any time.

I have only done S and S with the 32.  When I started and it was fairly challenging (8 mins for swings, 10 mins for get ups) I would do it 4 days a week.  When I was rolling with it (5-6 mins for swings, 8 mins for get ups) I would often do it 5 days a week.

You've had great advice that you should stay where you are and get to own the 24 before moving up. Just to second that. I moved up too quickly, never really owned to 24, even though I could do the sets for the desired time and went diving in with the 32. An old injury flared up forced me to back off. I did and went back to do the whole lot again, after a period of rehab, with a 16 with a sharper focus on technique for both swings and get ups and this time owned the 24 before introducing the 32. I think consolidating your position and hammering home your technique pays dividends. I found it a shock going from the 16 to 24 but got used to it pretty quickly. The 24-32 change maybe wasn't quite a shock but getting used to the change was a lot slower! If that makes sense. Having a really solid base with the 24 will really aid the next transition.

Hmm... well I just started a week ago, and I managed to get 10x10 swings in 5 minutes with the 16kg kettlebell today. (Afterwards I tested myself with the 20kg kettlebell to see if I could do it, and I did one set of 10 with each arm).

I just wasn't sure whether I should keep doing the 16kg for longer (cause it's only been a week since I started), or start integrating 20kg sets? I do have a tendency to rush headlong into things and go for improvement! I mean... I wanna be able to swing that 32kg sucker ;)

(BTW I'm female... that's why I started with 16kg!)

Fiona-

Here's my advice for what it's worth:

You've just started S&S. How long have you been practicing with kettlebells? The goal is to get strong -not move up in weight. That sounds strange but the moving up in weight is simply the byproduct of getting strong. The body has to adapt to the weight you are currently using. The program (as it is written) demands that you "own the weight" you are currently using. Hitting the 10x10 in 5 minutes on one day is not the signal to move up in weight. You ought to able to do it on any given day and perfect form on every rep is a must.

I think you should take your time and see if you can do the program with the 16kg for a few weeks before attempting to move up in weight.  Also, read the above comments from others about not using the timer everyday. My opinion.

That being said, where are you with the getup portion of the program? Are you at 5x1 in 10 minutes with the 16kg? If you begin to move up in weight with the swing portion (power) it is going to impact your progress with getups (strength).

Reread the book (I've read this thing no less than 5 times). Even when Pavel writes about moving up it's always adding a higher weight to one set and then doing that for a few sessions before adding any more.

The program is not only about developing power and strength but also developing the body's ability to recover from the training.

Be patient. Train smart. Train safe.

-Al S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom