all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S question/recommendation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fleurjr

Level 1 Valued Member

So I have finished my first week with S&S.  I am at a local gym that has a 30# and 50# KB.  I know the book says to start with 35# (or 44# if you have a BP over 200#).  I am caught somewhere in the middle.  I am a 6'0" 205# male, bench around 250# although I don't train it on a regular basis.  I initially tried 30# swings one armed for all ten sets with a 2min rest.  This felt too light for me so I started alternating 30# swings for each arm then 50# swing each arm.  If I had access I would do the 44# but I don't.  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself so I am trying to resist doing the 50# KB for all my swings (even though I feel like I can).  What do you all think of this plan?

30#KB one armed swings x2 sets then 50# KB one armed swings x 2 sets then back to 30# for 2 sets then 50# for 2 sets the 30 for 2 sets (total of 5x10 on each arm).  One min rest intervals between sets.  After each week, if I have successfully complete this without break in form and overall feel well I will subtract 10 secs from rest.  If I don't feel good about it one week I won't.  I will do this until I reach 1:1 work to rest ratio.  Then I will replace a set of 30# one armed swings for 50# ones.  I will also put the rest back up to one min and restart the process.  All Get ups will be at 30# until I feel like my tech is sound.

Obviously this is a bit more confusing (although makes sense to me) and strays away from the central theme of simplicity.  I just think 30# swings were too easy and I didn't want to jump into 50# swings only this soon.  At some point I plan on buying some KB's myself and circumventing this problem.

Thoughts?

Don't overcomplicate it. Forget about timing yourself and just practice for a few weeks solid at least. Gauge where you are. Chances are, given your weight and height, you may well be able to work with the 24 kg. Once that starts to feel easy start timing yourself again and see if you can meet the S&S goals. I would also suggest buying a 24 and 32 kg (once you are ready to move up in weight) would be a very good investment, as it allows you to be consistent and practise daily without the hassle of going to a gym.

Did you read the book? S&S starts with 2-handed 24kg swings. The 16kg is used for TGUs.

I just finished the book last night.  After your post I reread the chapter your referring to.  Must have forgotten that part.  I'lol plan on two handed swings mostly with the occasional one hand approach (like the book mentions).  Still 30# for get ups though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom