all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

morrisda

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi

Ordered Kindle addition yesterday and read entire book.  My current program is a Starting strength format, lifting 3 days a week with some met cons for conditionaing/fatloss.  The other 3days a week I either sprint or walk.

My number one goal is fat loss I am 5'9 and 260.  Would I be better off invigorating S&S with Starting strength 2-3 days a week.  If so would I do it on the same days I lift or off days from lifting.  Or would I be best served by sampling following S&S 5 plus days a week?

I have 25lb and 35lb KB.  Embarrassingly I can not do a get up with a 25 lb KB.  Barely can get up")  Would I be also better off buying a cheap alb to use for get ups so I can begin to get my form down, OI know I could use a shoe, but I like the idea of griping or holding the KB?

I've a male client who started with a 10lb bell and is now starting the 28kg. It's taken him 18 months and he's lost nearly 200lbs. As the weight comes of from swings & nutrition the getup will naturally become easier. This is a very cool feature because the getup rewards you for improving your body composition and strength to bodyweight ratio ( a nice way to keep enthusiasm high & renew will power to continue your training )

If you look at Pavel's plan in S&S and see the example he gives for progressing from one bell size to the next you can use this same idea with bodyweight getups as your "working bell" and gradually introduce partial getups or holds with the 25lb & 35lb as your heavy bell(s).

Find ways to train the getup in parts (upper & lower ) then later connect the dots as you get stronger & body composition improves.
LOWER = hardstyle ab work, unweighted partial getups, light partial getups
UPPER = assisted bodyweight lunges, single leg deadlifts, unassisted lunges, weighted lunges, Standing, Marching or Walking with the weight held at various position & eventually held overhead.

Good luck!

Thank you JS, thus in regards to my questions specifically would you just concentrate on S&S if my primary goal now is fat loss?  By the way, what type of diet or nutrition plan did you client follow?

Dan

Personally I would stick with a program and follow it through till you reach either the programs goals or your personal goals. Often times they sync up.

My personal experience was following the guidelines Mike Dolce puts out in his book "Living Lean" (got the Kindle version for pretty cheap and refer to it often). I lost about 35 pounds training just swings and getups (ala the Program Minimum from ETK)in about 2 and a half months.

S&S lays a strong foundation for, literally, thousands of other programs out there. The consistent swings are great for helping the body to burn off that fat with whatever nutrition program you decide to follow. My vote is always keep it simple and the rest tends to work itself out.

Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom