all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Reboot: 1HS Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@mightstone2k +1 to @Anna C , could you film a set of max power two handed swings with the 32? And then, as matter of interest, could you do a set of 6 swings with the 32 in this order; 2H×2 then remove one hand from the bell at the top of the swing for 2 swings, then a "mid-float" hand switch to the other hand for 2 swings? Thanx for putting yourself out there!!!

Here’s my max power set of 32T

Also, this article was fantastic. I’m practicing the two cues mentioned in the article in the set you’re watching.

I will give the 2T+2L+2R set a shot tomorrow. I experiment more on the weekends when I don’t have the looming deadline of getting to work on time :)

Last edited:
Form check on the 32. I’m starting to swing it for five on each side in place of one set of 24x10/side. Next baby step is to swing for two sets of five to keep my total swing volume at 100.

Looking really good, @mightstone2k !

Your hinge is more effective, your timing is better, your shoulder is packed better, your standing plank is more solid, and you're using hip and leg power to move the bell.

Great work, keep it up!

Howdy, y’all. I filmed another set with the 24, just to get eyes on my form again. This is my last set of the morning. Four main areas of interest are:

1. Am I hinging too soon?
2. Am I hinging deeply enough?
3. Am I actually driving with my hips?
4. Where am I losing power and tension?

Thanks!

1. Am I hinging too soon?

No, the hinge timing looks good

2. Am I hinging deeply enough?

I think so. You might be folding forward a bit much -- try adding a tiny bit of resistance to the end of the torso folding forward.

3. Am I actually driving with my hips?

Yes, looks like it.

4. Where am I losing power and tension?

Your knees still look bent/soft to me in the standing plank -- do they get straighter if you really pull up on your kneecaps?

upload_2019-3-18_9-1-36.png

Also, a minor point -- you're using your arm to throw the kettelbell backwards on the initial hike more than necessary. Let the hips lifting the bell off the ground start the pendulum backwards, and then use your arm to acellerate it backwards to add to its backward momentum.

Ok Brother! StrongWork! I concur with Anna's assessment!

The complete hip extension in the plank, do you do hardstyle hip bridges, as discussed in S&S??? "Taking the brakes of your..." i can't remember the rest...sorry. Check it out=huge power increase!!!!

On a side note, at multiple times in my training with KB's, I recall feeling like I got better "stimulus" from a lighter bell, even though the heavier bell was my target bell. force x distance/ time is the equation for power, if I am not mistaken??? If the bigger bell moves slower and less of a distance (up to the navel versus the chest), even though you are swinging the bigger bell, you are getting a different and potentially lesser stimulus from the same movement.Own the bell!

Thank y’all again for your feedback!

@advtracer yep, I do the hip bridges as part of my warmup. As for your side note, if I grok what you’re saying, it’s “own that 24!”

@Anna C I filmed another pair of sets this morning, focusing on nothing but pulling my kneecaps up. At the very end, I demonstrate right in front of the camera what feels like me pulling my kneecaps up. Let me know if it has the kind of movement you’re trying to coach me to

To address your minor point, I’m having trouble envisioning what you mean by my hips starting the pendulum. I can’t quite wrap my head around how the hips would start the swing. I thought their first movement was forward out of the hole, once the bell had been hiked.

Good follow-up...

To address your minor point, I’m having trouble envisioning what you mean by my hips starting the pendulum. I can’t quite wrap my head around how the hips would start the swing. I thought their first movement was forward out of the hole, once the bell had been hiked.

I meant something different here. at :17 and 1:13, when you hike the bell, its initial movement of the kettlebell comes from your aggressive throw backwards using the arm and shoulder. What I'm suggesting is use an initial raise of the hips to let the bell lift off the floor, then as it starts to pendulum back, then add momentum to it by pushing it back with your arm and shoulder (connected lats; packed shoulders). I actually never thought much about that before, and it is definitely a minor point... It was just noticeable to me that you have additional movement in the shoulder area on that hike that I'm not used to seeing. Anyway if you watch the initial hike of the bell in each set of this video in with the speed set on .25, you can probably see what I mean about lifting the bell off the floor with the hips.

At the very end, I demonstrate right in front of the camera what feels like me pulling my kneecaps up. Let me know if it has the kind of movement you’re trying to coach me to

Not to harp on the tight legs too much, but just to follow it through --- Yes, pulling up on the kneecaps looks exactly right, as you show at the end... although, what does it look like from the side when you do it? Probably like the first picture. I would be looking for the legs to be completely straight like the first picture during the swing, but during the swing (second picture), it appears to me that there's some bend, so I'm not sure you're pulling up the kneecaps like that IN the standing plank. They should be tight from when you snap into the plank until you start to move into the hinge. But if you are, no worries... I think we've covered that enough.

Standing before swing, 1:03:

upload_2019-3-19_4-20-46.png

During swing, 1:17:

upload_2019-3-19_4-20-11.png

Form check with 32 kg. It looks a lot stronger when I watch the video than it feels when I’m swinging. I can tell I need to plank harder (but that comes really easily on subsequent 24 kg swings).

I’m on vacation, which explains the new scenery. Both gyms I’ve been to have had artificial turf down, which is odd. Anyhoo, if you’re ever in Reno, this place has a solid kettlebell selection. Is it against the rules to name drop a non-SF affiliate gym on the forum?

Thanks for your feedback

Good swings! Everything's moving in the right direction. That 32kg will teach some good lessons :)

If you can project power in the the bell forward a bit more (as opposed to up), it will help with the planking hard (because it will feel necessary), and it will also pull the slight bend out of your arm and slight gooseneck out of your wrist/grip. Just think about throwing it as far in front of you as you can with each swing -- but don't let it go.

No, it's not against the rules. Thanks for asking.

-S-
In that case, it was Double Edge Fitness - Midtown. The staff are incredibly nice, and they have kettlebells from 12 to 32 kg, in increments of 4 kg. The only one they didn't have was a 28 kg. I recommend them if you're passing through and need a place to train.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom