all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed S & S + Second Wind = recovery training template?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

3letterslong

Level 6 Valued Member
I don't know if you guys have heard of Joel Jamieson, but about 10 years ago he was the biggest name around in MMA S&C training. I've found him to be an excellent source of information over the years and have been keenly following him as he focused his training towards accelerating recovery.

I just found this template he did outlining his process and, bah gawd, it should be an easy thing for us to adopt because of how nicely S & S and Second Wind fit into it. We already know everything we need to know to make this work.

I'm going to try it for the first time later today. I'm actually pretty pumped because I've been wishing I could fit S&S AND Pavel's breathing into my weekly routine and here this guy is like, "Hey, dummy, you don't need to sacrifice anything! You can do those things on your off days to speed up recovery."

Just thought I'd share and see what your thoughts are on this.

I learnt about tempo intervals/basement tempos from JJamieson, and I can swear by it. Great for you aerobic base, doesn't leave you beaten up.

Hi there;
I have just started S&S a week ago. In his book, Pavel wants you to do 2H swings at least in every three workout. Down from 1 H swings. I believe S&S has built in light day by default for recovery.

Best

Looks like good stuff.

I'm a fan of Joel Jamieson and have a copy of Ultimate MMA Conditioning, not because I have any interest in MMA, but because I've found it to be one of the best books on energy systems training out there. It would probably be even better if he rewrote it today.

Much of what's on that link does agree with Pavel's Second Wind training, IMO. For example, "What I’ve learned (and what the data shows) is that the more you develop the systems within the body that are responsible for recovery—namely the parasympathetic nervous system and the aerobic engine—the more recovery potential your body has."

"The goal is to see how far you can drop your heart rate in those 60 seconds and I’ve found this to be an incredibly effective and powerful way to train the skill of recovery. "
This is what we do with A+A training!

One difference being, HRV isn't something Pavel puts much stock in.

My only hesitation or caution with the program shown is that it looks fairly "proprietary terms" "marketing-y" and seems to push the idea that if you don't do things precisely according to this template, you miss all the benefits of doing the things that are mentioned... and I don't think that's necessarily true.

I don't know if you guys have heard of Joel Jamieson, but about 10 years ago he was the biggest name around in MMA S&C training. I've found him to be an excellent source of information over the years and have been keenly following him as he focused his training towards accelerating recovery.

I just found this template he did outlining his process and, bah gawd, it should be an easy thing for us to adopt because of how nicely S & S and Second Wind fit into it. We already know everything we need to know to make this work.

I'm going to try it for the first time later today. I'm actually pretty pumped because I've been wishing I could fit S&S AND Pavel's breathing into my weekly routine and here this guy is like, "Hey, dummy, you don't need to sacrifice anything! You can do those things on your off days to speed up recovery."

Just thought I'd share and see what your thoughts are on this.

I think that part of the background for the development of OS was proper recovery.
Just noticed that this is a year old..

That's what I thought as well, back when I read it. I think you just need to be careful to go lighter when S&S is the side dish.

And it could be a good idea to use some Original Strength resets as well.

Back
Top Bottom