all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S swing speed

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marino

Level 5 Valued Member
S&S refers to working up to a 1:1 work/rest ratio and doing the swings in 5 minutes or less. My 10 swings consistently take about 18 seconds. If I work to an 18 second rest after each swing, this gets me to a 1:1 ratio but this will take me over 5 minutes to do the swings. Which is more important, swings in 5 minutes or 1:1? Also, am I swinging particularly slowly? My speed is the same whether it's a 48 or a 24.

You might be swinging just a tad slow, David. I think the 15 seconds of swinging came from an old study or article that referenced a good swing taking approx. 1.5 seconds, so 10 swings in 15 seconds, 20 swings in 30 seconds, etc.

I don't think you need to swing at exactly that pace every time. And certainly things can be different when moving up to heavier bells (my 40kg swings feel a second or two slower than my 32kg swings, though I haven't timed them).

Still, for reference check out these two videos that have been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA_lCdHsM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhip0OhpBo

Both these guys are coming in right around 15 or 16 seconds per set (I did not time all of them, just a few).

Perhaps some overspeed swings would help with the timing? Or a different approach to power? Some more advanced swingers than I am would have to chime in here.

If I understand the S&S protocol correctly, the 1:1 proportion is the foundation of training, whilst the 5 minutes threshold for 100 swings is a test. In the latter, you really push yourself through, regardless any proportions. As far as I remember, Pavel recommends to do that test every 4 weeks, just to see your progress. One side remark, and a warning: take care of your shoulders when you go heavy on the S&S. Those one-handed swings are really tough on the rotator cuff when you go above one third of your bodyweight.The S&S is simple but sinister, just as its name says ;-)

David.

Do the swings without rest or do the swings faster if you wanna keep the 1:1 work/rest ratio and still be able to do 100 in less than 5 minutes.

I start with an every minute on the minute approach -> 10 swings at the beginning of every minute. After i feel very solid i go for 10 swings every 45sec. And later down to 10 swings every 30sec.
When your down to 10 swings every 30sec you're in the 100swings/5min window and the work/rest ratio will be exactly or in your case very, very close to 1:1.
I wouldn't worry to much that in your example your not at exactly 1:1 ratio, because it's just a matter of 2-3sec.

JFYI i'm 6'4, so my ROM is bigger than usual and still i'm constantly doing 10 swings in 14-18sec.
A tip: Be in the starting position 3sec before the clock hits for another round so you can start swinging asap. I find that when i do that i can easily hit 10swings in 15sec otherwise im in the 18sec range like you are.

I think the remedy for me is a crisper and shorter hip snap to shave a couple of seconds off each set of ten. I'm now practising this and i'll test it next at the beginning of August.

I'm doing S&S with the 44 three times a week at the moment along with the routine from the vodka and pickles deadlift blog which is also 3 times a week. The two go together well training strength pulls and pushes and conditioning and grip and abdominal tension. I'm a big fan now of not rushing a workout and of leaving adequate rest periods between sets especially on the get ups.

From S&S

<blockquote>Employ overspeed eccentrics or shadow swings only with light kettlebells— 30% of your bodyweight or less— and only in two-arm swings.

Am I to take then that the rest of the time i.e. most of training, swings should just allow gravity to bring bell back down and we just control the path? If so, this seems to set limits on how fast one can actually get through a set.

This direct from the book

<strong>Stay with whatever weight you are using for a while. Focus on technique in both exercises, and on power in the swing. Gradually reduce the rest periods— but without undue pressure. S& S is an “easy strength” and “easy endurance” program. Eventually you will reach the point where the work-to-rest ratio is 1: 1, which means you will hammer out 100 swings in five minutes and ten get-ups in ten minutes. It is almost time to move up in weight.

Eventually you will reach the point where the work-to-rest ratio is 1: 1

How do you interpret that? When you swing with your left arm your rigth arm is resting?

Work-to-rest ratio 1:1:
10 swings R :17, Rest :17
10 swings L :17, Rest :17
10 swings R :17, Rest :17..... 10 sets total... would be 5:40. Almost there. So you actually have to go a bit beyond the 1:1 ratio to get to 5:00, resting only :13 between each set. But also, remember that you only have 9 rest periods, not 10, so that actually gains you back a second or two each set! (Or that's the way I figured the 5:00, anyway - beginning of the first set to the end of the last!)

Kettlebellelephat, good point about being tall and ROM is bigger than usual (kind of like the Blog for this week) -- I'm sure that makes a difference -- the bell is traveling a lot farther.

So, a correction to my calculation above: 10 sets of swings at :17, plus 9 rest periods of :17 would be 5:23... so if you make your rest periods :15 you are almost at a 1:1, and finish in 5:05.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom