all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S, then RoP, then ??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

johneast

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,

Just thought I'd share my current progress and maybe ask a question about where to go next.

I'm 41 and weigh roughly 75Kg at 5'9"

December 2013 I started S & S with 16Kg after having a shoulder injury which had been preventing me from doing any pressing for what felt like forever. Reached the simple goal by December 2014. I was hoping for quicker progress but it took my 32Kg bell a couple of months to arrive after I ordered it and I had a couple of business trips away, one which meant I was away from home for about two months over the summer. Don't get me wrong. I'm really happy. Not only am I stronger but my shoulder is in much better shape. TGUs (esp heavy ones) are magical.

A new year arrived so it was time for a change and I started the RoP with 24Kg. Started with 5 ladders of 3 rungs and worked up to 5 x 5 last week. This was really good as it was pressing a 24Kg kettlebell that injured my shoulder in the first place. being able to do this now brings me so much joy. Last week I tested myself and managed to press my 32Kg bell each arm for 4 singles! So happy with that. I would have liked to have done more but we have a lot going on at home and I needed to finish my practice session and get on with other stuf.

That 'stuff' is preparing to sell my house and relocate from the UK to Canada. I fly in about three weeks time. So I'm going to carry on with the RoP with the 24 for my remaining time here, but after that I'm not sure. My kettlebells will be in transit and then storage for about 12 weeks so I'm wondering what to do once I arrive. The apartment block we'll be moving into temporarily has a gym in the basement that doesn't have much but it does have a barbell so I was thinking about PttP. My goals, amongst others, are a half bodyweight press (ala RoP) and a double bodyweight deadlift (just because that's cool). So a press and a pull works nicely into PttP. But as I won't have a kettelbell I won't be able to swing and I'm concerned about losing my 'explosiveness' over the three months I'll be doing PttP.  I've been toying with the idea of the 'Starting Strength' program by Mark Rippetoe as that includes a power clean as well as a deadlift and a press. I've never tried a power clean and wondered if anyone else had and if they found it beneficial.

Thanks for reading.

John, congratulations on your progress to date - it's always impressive when you can recover from an injury and get back to where you were and beyond.  Nice going!

As to what to do next, a few thoughts for you:

You could buy a kettlebell or two upon your arrival.  They're much less expensive than they used to be, and they're also easily resold at a later date.

For your next program, you could consider either bodyweight or barbell or kettlebell.  For the barbell, since that seems to be what you're thinking about, consider Deadlift Dynamite, or Power To The People!  Consider also taking the StrongFirst Barbell User Course.  For kettlebell, consider Return of the Kettlebell, which uses doubles, and also consider any of the several, excellent programs for double kettlebells by Geoff Neupert, some of which are available on this web site for purchase.

If you don't swing a kettlebell for three months, yes, you will lose some of your explosiveness, but it will return quickly once you start training with a kettlebell again.  You could, if you wish, build yourself a "t-handle" out of pipe - instructions are available on the Internet, and you could bring it with you to your basement gym and do swings with that.

Best of luck with your move and keep us posted on how you're doing.

-S-

Thanks for the reply.

@Steve I'm not sure my wife will be overly impressed if I tell her I'm buying more kettlebells. I think I'm at the limit there :) But yes, I'll keep everyone posted.

@Charles I'll be moving to Burlington in Ontario. I take it you're based in Canada?

Hey thats great, there's a chance I may be moving there too in coming months.  We're currently in Barrie but I'm finishing up paramedic school and possibly working for Halton Region starting this summer.  For buying bells (taking into consideration what you said) Republic of Sport out of St. Catharines sells Muscle Driver bells (good quality) for the cheapest prices I've seen anywhere (save for the absolute bottom of the barrel AmStaff bells that have windows that cantilever against your wrist.)  I was going to say if you're in the city at all you could check out the Toronto Kettlebell Club out of the Fighting Arts Collective.  They're a good bunch, lots of bells, a bit GS-focused but generally good to train with, positive bunch.  That and the FAC is really something to behold...it is every martial artist/strength nut's wet dream...big industrial space, no-nonsense community of every approach and style from JKD to Systema to European Medieval Martial ARts to Dog Brothers...awesome place to check out.

Entirely non-profit co-operative so wonderfully devoid of the usual BS, and built on a culture of mutual respect.

@Charles Thanks for the two recommendations, especially for the Republic of Sport. They're pretty close so I'll be able to pick up orders in store and save myself a load of shipping costs

@Steve I forgot to mention in my first reply, thanks so much for your thoughts it's greatly appreciated. I've got both PttP and Deadlift Dynamite books. I'll go back over the programs and see which one I like best. I'm leaning towards PttP purely because it means I can train every day during the week. Who wants off days, right? :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom