all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S two handed swing to one

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

Been doing S&S for a while now. My two handed swings are crisp and powerful. I attempted to throw in some one handed and om my god, no way. Didnt feel right at all from the get go. Too heavy, couldnt forcefully drive, and just too unwieldy. Should I drop a bell size and do some one handed or just keep doing two handed with a few reps of one handed added in?

I started by working in sets of five per arm. Then seven (but only counted it as five, to keep my reps easy to count). Before long I could do ten per arm for one set each. Then added another set of ten each arm. And so on, until now, where I'm able to do all ten sets of ten with one arm.

I've never had strength come very fast, but this still worked well for me. And honestly it was hard using the 24kg with one arm when I first started. I think it took 10-12 sessions to work up to all one-arm. But, the sessions were sporadic, and I only got 2-4 per week.

i have found that my one handed swings are 1 size down from my two - and thats how i work the progression, when i was using the 24kg, my one handed never felt comfortable and crisp until i moved up to the 32, after doing 2 hands with the 32 for a while, the one handed 24 was a piece of cake, now i am doing two handed with the 40.  before i stepped up to the 40 my 32 one handed swings were hard, incomplete and left me feeling like i was doing more harm than good.  enter a few weeks of doing 2 handed swings with the 40 and the one handed 32 is starting to become precise and technically sound.  i plan to do the same as i move up to the Beast down the road.  i will definitely tackle the 2 handed swing with the 48 before i even try the one handed w the 40.  thats just the way the progression has been working for me. slow and steady.

Tried the one handed for five reps each today. It looked like this. 2h 10, 2h 10, lh 5 rh 5, 2h 10, 2h 10. The one handed still felt weak, but more doable doing fives instead of ten. Think I will stick with this and work up to all one handed before moving on to more sets.

For me the progression has been thus:

1) 24kg - 10 sets with 2Hands. Shaky form. 10+ mins

2) 24kg - 10 sets with 2Hands. Good form. 10+ mins.

3) 24kg - 10 sets with 2Hands. Good form. <5 mins.

4) 24kg - 10 sets with mix of 1 and 2Hands. Mixed form. >10mins

5) 24kg - 10 sets with mix of 1 and 2Hands. Good form all over. <5mins

6) 24kg - 10 sets with 1 hand. Good form all over. +10mins

7) 24kg - 10 sets with 1 hand. Good form all over. <5mins

Repeat with 32kg bel (except I started at good form).

Be strong!

As I've also been working up to one arm swings and experimenting on my form, to feel more power and control.  I found that hinging MORE at the hips with one arm, is easier on the grip, as it slowes the bell down not quite so abruptly, and then exploding with the hips gets the bell up to shoulder hight.  Focus more on the hip drive, and the bell takes care of it's self.

Al

I had the same issue at first. Tried dropping a bell size for a few sessions but it didn’t seem like a good idea. Then I tried hand to hand swings and the transition was butter smooth.

2h, 2h, 2h, 2h, 2h

2h, h2h, 2h, 2h, 2h

2h, h2h, h2h, 2h, 2h ect.

Then do the same thing to incorporate your ohs

Hunter, as I've mentioned here before, I mix 2H and 1H in the same set with very good results.  I give Brett Jones credit for introducing me to this.  My current format, until I feel my 1-arm swings are better, is in 8's as: 2 x two-hand, 2 x left, 2 x two-hand, 2 x right.  It gives you a real feel for trying to bring what you have in the two-handed swing into your one-handed swing, and you can do it with singles, you can do it with triples or more, and you can also do it with uneven numbers, e.g., 10 could be 3 x T, 2 x L, 3 x T, 2 x R - 10 reps with 6 as two-handed and 3 each for your left and right.

-S-

IMHO, do cleans with your heavy bell until they become easy. I found this helped substantially towards the OA swing.

I was just under the impression not to move up from five sets of two handed swings until you were doing one handed swings. Alot of people are saying ten sets of two handed swings.

Hunter, It's perfectly natural that, the first time you try a one-handed swing, it's going to feel awful - no worries, just keep the volume of one-handed swings low and stick with mostly two-handed until you feel your one-handed swings are improved enough to warrant doing more of them. Don’t get hung up on the numbers – look at your one-handed swing and decide if you’re ready to do it now or if you want to spend more time doing only two-handed swings. The math isn’t important, practicing the principles is.

As with many of these things, an in-person visit or Skype consultation with an SFG or a video clip posted here can help people comment on your form.

-S-

Getting better at the one handed swing. It's my grip thats the weak link.

Added in the 24kg for one set either side for either side in the tgu.  Slow and steady.

Just thought I would add an update. After alot of pondering and taking everyones ideas and suggestions into consideration I decided to stay with the five sets of ten. I am still only doing one set of left and right one handed and three sets of two handed. My strong arm is still off. My grip is the issue. My stronger arm seems to be coming along nicely. Still need to work on the hip snap.

I keep referring to this thread over and over. Have worked with kettlebells off an on for a few years. Am thoroughly enjoying S&S. However, I just seem to get nowhere when I switch to the one arm swings. I feel amazing and powerful swinging with two hands. As soon as I switch to one hand, the back acts up. I think for me all it takes is just a small amount or rotation and I'm in trouble. I've been working with that issue for over two decades now. I know in Rif's DVD he  claims that one armers are better for "touchy backs." Maybe I'm the opposite. I too the advice of some here and merely sprinkled in a few one armers in the midst of my 10X10 rather than in the past, jump to all one armers--same result! A little tweaked. And I'd like to say, I have had two private sessions with an RKC II a few years ago and scored a 19 on the FMS while performing it in twenty degree weather on a concrete slab ;-)

I'my beginning to lose hope on these one armers. The two hand swing feels so natural and right but the one arm feels--for me--just somehow wrong...

Just wanted to add that today I took a shot at Steve Fs suggestion of the 3T,2L,3T,2R set and I'm a little encouraged. The hinge especially in the left arm (strong arm) is rough. Really felt my back having to save it a bit. But, it did improve as the ssession went on. Probably need more patience. Have to see how I feel tomorrow.

Chris, good to hear and thank you for the report.  Play with the numbers, e.g., try

2T, 2L, 2T, 2R, 2T, also try 2T, 3L, 2T, 3R when you feel you're ready, and don't be afraid to mix all these in a single session.

I have written an article about this approach and I hope we will see it sometime within the next few months.

-S-

Thank you Steve! Can't wait for that article. I thoroughly enjoy your writing and exceedingly generous input. I plan on doing exactly as you said. I also filmed the last workout--really isn't as bad as I thought and I feel good. Perhaps I just have to get it through my thick skull that although I've done thousands and thousands of two hand swings, I have done relatively little one armers. Perseverance is needed here ;-)

Chris, thanks for the kind words - always appreciated.  Sounds like you're on the right track.

-S-

Hey Chris, you may also want to pay attention to your arm rotation and path of travel of the bell. What I mean is that if you are internally rotating your arm during the backswing, you will more than likely have more rotation since your shoulder will be pulled"forward" more as you reach back. Also, as the bell ascends, it could be heading further away from midline, causing you to have to work your obliques and QL more to keep your trunk vertical. Not that any of the above is inherently bad, just that it may be adding to an existing asymmetry which "could"be ticking off your back. I've gone with the "inverted V" that has much less, if any, rotation at the shoulder and feel it's safer for me.

As with any potential asymmetry, getting checked out by an FMS or SFMA will probably detect it, but monitoring yourself during the movement might reveal something you hadn't been aware of. I'm also a huge fan of the Pallof press for anti-rotation type exercise. Good luck.

Thanks Joe for the advice! Very appreciated and I'm going to look into your suggestions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom