all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Weight Jump Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cmerrow

Level 6 Valued Member
Forgive me if this is a silly question.

I’m returning to S&S after a year of wasting my time in the gym. In the book, why is there no mention of the 20kg kettlebell? The weight recommendation goes from 16kg to 24kg for men.

I’m returning to S&S after a year of wasting my time in the gym. In the book, why is there no mention of the 20kg kettlebell? The weight recommendation goes from 16kg to 24kg for men.
Yeah, there is no recommendation for the 20kg. Use the 20kg if the 24 is too heavy to use with good form.

It’s been a while since I read the book, but I believe the basic recommendation is 8kg jumps.

I always made 4kg jumps due to old injuries. Worked great for me

You can of course use 20 kg - but I personally recommend:
- start with 16, and stay there for about 4 weeks.
- add 24 very conservatively, one heavier set about every 4 weeks.
- if the swings with 24 will feel hard, split the set of 10 into 2 subsets (5, brief rest, 5, or whatever suits you). Make sure you use chalk.
- for fist get-ups with 24, ask a friend to be your spotter.

Big jumps are good - but they need patience > confidence.

@Pavel Macek : would you recommend the same for moving from 24 to 32kg? I am currently working with 28kg.

- 24 > 32 - recommended; needs patience and really owning the current sets before adding heavier set. I recommend to add one heavier set once per 2-4 weeks.

- 24 > 28 > 32 - also an option, why not.

The book shows plans with the 36 kg bell, so 4 kg jumps are endorsed if only when you start getting past the 32. I think the idea is to save your money and space in your house. I'm currently doing the swings with the 32 but the TGUs with the 40. I suppose buying a 36 might be helpful to progress with the swings, but I'd still be doing the TGUs with the 40 anyhow, so I can't motivate myself to waste the money or the space on my floor for the intermediate weight.

I suppose the lesson here is that if you're willing to shell out the dough and use up space on your floor, go ahead and buy the intermediate weights! If I were a professional trainer of some kind and my livelihood depended on being super-proficient, I'd likely purchase the intermediate weights. Hmmm... or maybe I'd be stronger and wouldn't need to.

- 24 > 32 - recommended; needs patience and really owning the current sets before adding heavier set. I recommend to add one heavier set once per 2-4 weeks.

- 24 > 28 > 32 - also an option, why not.

Thanks Pavel, I will try to go by the book, and opt for your first proposal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom