all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S with a strained shoulder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I recently strained my shoulder coming off my bike, and whilst this doesn't affect me swings my physical therapist has recommend I avoid heavy lifting with my shoulder for a while. This unfortunately means swings are out.

Can someone please recommend a good way to grease the movement without weight? I'll probably be off lifting for at least 4 more weeks.

David,

One thing to remember is that the get up is not just a strength-building exercise for the side holding the bell.

The "empty" side, not holding a bell is under a significant load as well, your body weight plus the bell being held aloft in the other hand.

At my age, an injury isn't an injury; it's a life-long companion. My best advice to you is to leave it alone for four weeks. Better to let it heal in four weeks than to deal with chronic and recurring pain and dysfunction for a year, a product of getting out over your ski tips.

Thanks Mark. I guess I just need to stop being impatient. Going to concentrate on grip and ab work with my swings for the next few weeks

what specifically gives you an issue with the swings? since the arms are really only along for the ride, I would think something like  a dead stop swing might still work well. not trying to contradict your PT, just trying to think about a way to keep things moving.

My swings are fine. It's the TGU I was wanting to practice, but I guess I'll be leaving it for a bit

well said Mark

"At my age, an injury isn’t an injury; it’s a life-long companion"

In sport, whatever the age,the goal : pain = rest and further investigations if necessary.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom