all posts post new thread

Barbell Sack tap in barbell deadlifts

Ap0c

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys. This is sort of humorous but I'm being totally serious.

After years of tinkering with the deadlift, I found what I thought was an amazing position that kept my rib cage connected to my pelvis in a really powerful way and kept my arms nice and long.

The problem is, now I give myself a nut shot every time I lock out.

I don't really feel like suiting up in a cup just for deadliftting, and I'm not a powerlifter. Wondering if I should just give up and do trap bar or something. What would you guys do?

Could you experiment with grip width? Or do you hit yourself because the bar is sliding on your thighs? Honestly I would just practice really light DLs and try and find a way that works better, then increase the weight again. At least that’s what I would try.

Could you experiment with grip width? Or do you hit yourself because the bar is sliding on your thighs? Honestly I would just practice really light DLs and try and find a way that works better, then increase the weight again. At least that’s what I would try.
Different grip width seems to disadvantage the lats. I can also just lose pelvic positioning, but I did that for years prior and it led to a painful low back as you might expect.

I think God just played a joke on me in the design phase and put my arms at the perfect length for a barbell to do this. It just hangs at nut height when my arms are hanging straight down.

The real question I'm asking here is whether the forum thinks the utility of barbell deadlifts is so great that this is worth tolerating in some shape or form. Seems like the answer is yes. I find that frankly absurd.ROFL

Hey guys. This is sort of humorous but I'm being totally serious.

After years of tinkering with the deadlift, I found what I thought was an amazing position that kept my rib cage connected to my pelvis in a really powerful way and kept my arms nice and long.

The problem is, now I give myself a nut shot every time I lock out.

I don't really feel like suiting up in a cup just for deadliftting, and I'm not a powerlifter. Wondering if I should just give up and do trap bar or something. What would you guys do?
Video would help. Perhaps you're shrugging your shoulders, and therefore also the bar, up at the lockout. Perhaps you've got unusually short arms.

-S-

I think God just played a joke on me in the design phase and put my arms at the perfect length for a barbell to do this. It just hangs at nut height when my arms are hanging straight down.
Maybe a couple other things to try.
1. sumo stance.
2. straps, but treat every lift like max effort and you are hanging on by your finger tips.
3. If you are not using supportive underwear, maybe start.
4. check this article about a similar issue with olympic lifters How To Avoid Crushing Your Junk When Olympic Lifting

Last edited:
Video would help. Perhaps you're shrugging your shoulders, and therefore also the bar, up at the lockout. Perhaps you've got unusually short arms.

-S-
Long torso I think (I guess it's all relative). Anyway, I'm not scheduled to deadlift tomorrow but I will take a video with a light weight since I'm going somewhere that may not permit deadlifting for several days after.

I agree with Steve. A video would help to see your body position. Keeping your arms as straight as possible is necessary. Straighten them so that your triceps are flexed, this will also help to engage the lats more, push your feet through the floor, and stand straight up. I imagine if your arms are bent at all or you are excessively leaning back that its possible to rack yourself. Its helpful to wear deadlifting socks or some type of athletic pants to prevent the bar from making the deadlift more difficult from any traction of the bar moving against your body.

I agree with Steve. A video would help to see your body position. Keeping your arms as straight as possible is necessary. Straighten them so that your triceps are flexed, this will also help to engage the lats more, push your feet through the floor, and stand straight up. I imagine if your arms are bent at all or you are excessively leaning back that its possible to rack yourself. Its helpful to wear deadlifting socks or some type of athletic pants to prevent the bar from making the deadlift more difficult from any traction of the bar moving against your body.
Definitely have been noticing an arm bend lately. I will take special care when I film tomorrow. Maybe this is exactly the answer. I thought I had still noticed it when I straightened them out the other day though. It could actually be that I instinctively bend them to avoid blunt trauma.

I know it's not popular here, but the trap bar deadlifts you mentioned would solve the problem.

I know it's not popular here, but the trap bar deadlifts you mentioned would solve the problem.
I messed around with them about a year ago for a couple months (easy strength cycle) just to try them out. They are definitely different. A lot less on the back. I have a feeling my ego is suggesting them though.

But I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I'm fairly short (5' 7") and have narrow shoulders, so the trap bar even with the high handles puts me in a position that isn't that different from a barbell deadlift. It just doesn't lever my back as hard. But, seeing as I just lift for fun, what sense does it make to arbitrarily assign barbell deadlifts?

The one big difference is that I set out a goal about 2 years ago that I wanted a 2xBW barbell deadlift, and giving up on that would be a huge defeat in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom