all posts post new thread

Barbell Sack tap in barbell deadlifts

Wear compression underwear, you’ll be fine. Are you basically going boxers and sweats? There’s like no support there, of course you’re gonna be flapping like a broken mast when you’re deadlifting.
Not sure how serious you are. They're basically compression shorts.

I would possibly consider bringing your feet in much closer. And arms just outside of your legs so that when your knees are pushed out they are touching. This allows you to push into the floor quite a bit. Play with your stance. If nothing you can find helps, consider looking up a local powerlifting coach to help with your deadlift. They are typically much cheaper and will really work with you a lot. Usually that in person coaching pays dividends.
I appreciate this. I was using a much narrower stance for a few weeks out of the last few months. Same issue, and I'm weaker in a narrower stance (potentially trainable). As I mentioned earlier, I can't really bring the arms in much narrower because of the rib cage, so bringing arms in narrower doesn't change the clearance much. I think my anthropometry is just dumb af. A coach could probably sort it out.

clean pulls?
That's another interesting thought actually. It might be just wide enough to change the contact spot when the hips finish moving forward, but narrower than the snatch DL and thus maybe translate more. I've never really done them and feel like I would need instruction lest go on another 7 year journey of fixing bad habits I taught myself.

That's another interesting thought actually. It might be just wide enough to change the contact spot when the hips finish moving forward, but narrower than the snatch DL and thus maybe translate more. I've never really done them and feel like I would need instruction lest go on another 7 year journey of fixing bad habits I taught myself.

You're also not locking out the hips, but going into triple extension, instead.

And it won't take you 7 years to learn to clean pull.

Hesitant to jump in here because obviously I can't sympathize with the problem myself, but, I think you're onto something here:

Something clear, that I've had a problem with before, is my knees are slightly soft.

What I notice is that your style is a bit toward "hitching". Yours is not this bad, but here is an example of it:

You can see how this ends up dragging the bar up the body right where you don't want it.

So the fix I would recommend is focus on straight legs (full knee extension) as you lift, and also, keep your shoulders above the bar a bit longer than you are, as opposed to getting them back behind the bar early. Then finish your lockout by standing tall.

And it won't take you 7 years to learn to clean pull.

Yep, another good option... I did these yesterday myself.

It would still be good training for target muscles, and helps to maintain a strong deadlift, but I don't know if it would get you the deadlift goal you wanted of 2xBW barbell deadlift.

This one went over my head.
Where you park the beans.
My deadlift setup includes a step where I spread my legs a bit to allow the family jewels to settle instead of being "presented" straight forward. Never thought about it until this thread, but it is something I've done instinctually forever.

So the fix I would recommend is focus on straight legs (full knee extension) as you lift, and also, keep your shoulders above the bar a bit longer than you are, as opposed to getting them back behind the bar early. Then finish your lockout by standing tall.
Yep, you've got a keen eye! I'm trying to get that "wedge" cue people talk about, but maybe I don't fully understand that cue. How it feels is like I'm trying to shove my hips underneath the bar right from the start; perhaps the difference is how much knee travel you allow. Once a month or so I'll really overdo it and have a very very noticeable hitch with a heavy weight -- feels nasty.

Ahhhh, that's going to make a significant difference in the landing position. Definitely going to try these out.

Honestly I think weightlifting looks like a ton of fun, and on the one hand I believe life is short and I should just try it out in full, but on the other hand I apparently have something to prove to myself about commitment...

Where you park the beans.
My deadlift setup includes a step where I spread my legs a bit to allow the family jewels to settle instead of being "presented" straight forward. Never thought about it until this thread, but it is something I've done instinctually forever.
Could have something to do with my newish underwear. It's comfortable but rather restrictive and doesn't allow a lot of slack. Perhaps some looser underwear would allow some clearance.

Thanks all for the robust discussion!

I'm trying to get that "wedge" cue people talk about, but maybe I don't fully understand that cue. How it feels is like I'm trying to shove my hips underneath the bar right from the start; perhaps the difference is how much knee travel you allow. Once a month or so I'll really overdo it and have a very very noticeable hitch with a heavy weight -- feels nasty.
The wedge that StrongFirst teaches is more specifically about the start position. I think your start position looks good, though it's hard to get or feel a wedge with this light of a weight. You probably feel it with a heavier weight.

So, your form is good and not much change is needed -- it's really just here at the top:

1692388775641.png

From here, in the video, you leave the knees soft and bring the shoulders back and hips to the bar.

I'd suggest from here, straighten the knees FULLY while the shoulders are over the bar like this, perhaps puff the chest out a bit more, I prefer gaze out ahead though that's a personal preference, and then stand tall to full hip extension, which will bring the shoulders behind the bar for lockout, and that way when the bar and your hips come together, the bar will be a bit higher than it is coming into contact now.

I'd suggest from here, straighten the knees FULLY while the shoulders are over the bar like this, perhaps puff the chest out a bit more, I prefer gaze out ahead though that's a personal preference, and then stand tall to full hip extension, which will bring the shoulders behind the bar for lockout, and that way when the bar and your hips come together, the bar will be a bit higher than it is coming into contact now.
Awesome feedback as usual! Thanks @Anna C !

@Pete L @IsaiahM.

Did snatch grip today with pinky on the outer knurl mark and it fixed the problem (makes contact at about mid pelvis). Not a super extreme grip; felt like I could do this regularly without straps.

Gonna use this to replace the deficit deads in my programing since it puts me in a similar bottom position.

@Pete L @IsaiahM.

Did snatch grip today with pinky on the outer knurl mark and it fixed the problem (makes contact at about mid pelvis). Not a super extreme grip; felt like I could do this regularly without straps.

Gonna use this to replace the deficit deads in my programing since it puts me in a similar bottom position.
Interested to know how strong you are in this position relative to the previous.

Interested to know how strong you are in this position relative to the previous.
Hard to compare in this instance. I went pretty light since I'm just starting up a mesocycle and it's a new lift. I'm also going really slow on the eccentric since my usual semi-freefall with conventional deadlift jams my wrist up pretty bad in this position. I can let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom