all posts post new thread

Old Forum sample military pt program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bennythepenny96

First Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if people could critic this program I found for improving pt scores and becoming stronger in the field. I am a ROTC Army cadet and I want to have a program that I can stick to for a while, keep improving my pt scores, become stronger for when I am in the field, and also save time because I am a student and I have to study sometimes! Here is a link to the program. http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/kettlebells-for-maxing-military-physical-fitness-tests/

I have already maxed the pt test with 78 pushups, 80 situps and a 12:45 2 mile run but that was because I only trained for the pt test. I am still a very slow sprinter and rucking is harder than it should be. I feel like adding in kettlebells will help to solve this problem. I also would want to gtg pushups, pullups and pistol squats throughout the day, run 3-4 times a week before kettle bells, and do an ab workout that ive been having a lot of fun with and progressing with.

Thanks for your help,

-Jack

That looks like a very serious program.  And the author has some awesome credentials.

But I bet most people can't start with a program like that.  I'm not sure where you are in your current training, but even scaling the weight back on the program you referenced would be a big challenge.  I also question jump squats with two kettlebells of any weight, let alone double 32's.

Of course, it might work really well for you.  You won't know until you try it.

If it were me, though, I'd go for something much simpler.  I like Al's training program for the soldier:

http://www.strongfirst.com/hardening-the-soldier-for-combat/

It's got all the main movements you need with no extra fluff.  And that means you could GTG your bodyweight stuff and keep your PT numbers up.

But the thing you really need to do is dial in your goals.  You list about 5 things that you "would like to do." What do you really want to work on.  And more important than that, what do you really "need" for your position?  My guess is more of the basics and less of the specifics.

Thanks for your reply,

I have only recently taken up an interest in kettlebells and I was planning on taking a course in March so I could get the basic movements right. I  have been looking for a program that I may want to use once I get more familiar with kettlebells and I won't actually start it for a few months.

You're right that I only need the basics right now.  I noticed that while I may be beating people on the pt tests I am not as strong as the other cadets and I want to use kettlebells to increase my strength.

Thanks for the link to Al's training program, it seems like something I could really stick with.

Thanks for the additional info.  If you haven't done much with the bells, I would say the DD program is waaaay too advanced.

Al's program is somewhat built off the Simple and Sinister program (if we're lucky, he'll chime in here and give you more info on that).  And that is the go to starting point for people.  It's scalable by weight and a lot of military and law enforcement operators are using it.  So given you are at the beginning, I'd think about picking up a copy of S and S and doing it by the book.

Then look into adding ruck marches or deadlifts or other things from Al's program.

You're right that hitting good scores on the PT test doesn't mean you can jump into other serious training.  But good PT scores mean you're in far better shape than most people, and you could find yourself progressing with all this stuff fairly quickly.

I have been looking into Simple and Sinister and I think i'll pick it up. I have also read the Naked Warrior. I think I will begin with some basic barbell work before I learn about kettle bells in March just to get some strength. I have always been great with endurance work  (I did rowing in highschool) so I have a good base of cardiovascular fitness.

Jack-

brian d is correct. Simple and Sinister is the way to go. It is incredibly challenging. The strength gains will amaze you. To maintain your run, push-ups and sit-ups I would suggest a practice PFT every one or two weeks.

The only way to improve your rucking is to ruck. The body has to adapt from the ground up. You have to toughen your feet (and joints, ligaments, tendons, and bones). There is no shortcut or alternative training. You must ruck under load. Start with a light load (10-15 lbs) and walk (don't run) for 2-3 miles. Based on what you've shared I presume this would be manageable. Gradually increase load (max 45-50 lbs) and then gradually increase distance (no need for more than 15 miles). Take care of your feet. Wear wool hiking socks and boots. Hike on a trail or the beach. Avoid the paved roads if possible.

Above all - listen to your body and know the difference between soreness and pain/injury.

Best to you,

-Al S.

Jack,

That's not a routine for a beginner with KBs.  Why wait until March to begin your training?  Is there no other outlet for you to learn the basic lifts?

You can certainly add 2-4 min sets of heavy farmer's walks until then, and practice your crawling.  Get ups with light or no weight are another good practice to add, and the risk is low.

If you go to www.prevost-training.blogspot.com (check hyperlinks on the right of the page) you will find a good ruck training program that I put together while on staff at the Naval Academy.  We used it with success with lots of Midshipmen training for various programs (Infantry Skills Team, USMC TBS etc...).

Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback. It has been really helpful in helping me determine how I want to go about strength training. Ill pick up Simple and Sinister and go to the sfg course in Seattle in March so I have a good base of technique.

Have a good weekend

-Jack

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom