all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Sand bag kettlebells?

morning_star

Level 1 Valued Member
I just saw that GORUCK has sand bag
Kettlebells up to 20kg.

The idea seems appealing esp for use with my kids (less sand for lower weight) and weighted carries. Seems like there’s some extra versatility potentially.

I know GORUCK quality is good … curious if anyone has used them or other brand kettle bells and your thoughts?

If you travel, this could be a very handy tool depending on where you go. But 20 kg would be too big to be your main KB compared to cast Iron ones obviously. Could still be better than 90% of adjustable kettlebells out there.

I have an Xbag - something like shown in the photo attached. It can be filled with metal balls up to 40kg or with sand up to around 20 kg.

From my experience it's not very comfortable for the ballistic movements - due to the material (artificial leather) and some movements of the handle during the exercise (it's quite tight but due to the construction it's not as firmly attached as the handle of the kettlebell and has some freedom of movement) it hurt my hands a lot - when doing swings I had bruises at the pinky finger, when doing push presses I had wounds at the thumbs (artificial leather+movement+sweat=friction).

Concluding it's nice to have but if were to choose once again I would probably chose some iron kettlebell. The only thing that did not come to my mind earlier is what Ege wrote - it could be more useful if I used to take more flight trips and would like to have some travel equipment that does not weigh much and does not take much place in the luggage. With car trips iron kettlebell is better choice.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 11
I have one of the GORUCK 16kg Sand Kettlebells. I've only ever used it for loaded carries, but you can swing it, I'm sure getups would work too. I've never tried to snatch it; might be a little weird. But, weird might be good depending on who you ask.

I kinda bought it on a whim, it's fun, not life-changing. Like Ege said, would be fun to take to the beach and get weird looks.

Reactions: Ege
Back
Top Bottom