all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sandbag Clean and Press vs. Shouldering?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vulcan300

Level 3 Valued Member
Good Evening,

I am currently working through Bryce Lane's 50/20 program: For those interested

It's a good program. I feel like I'm making progress and its given me the best sleep I've had in years. Two days a week I do sandbag squats and the other two I do sandbag clean and presses or shouldering with a press at the top. The problem is that I feel that I'm getting way less out of the shouldering + Press than the clean and press. My question to you guys is if y'all think it would be better to just skip the shouldering and just do the clean and press twice a week? I feel that they work the same muscles with the shouldering just doing it to a lesser extent. I feel as if I have exhausted all the sandbag related resources on the internet and couldn't find a good answer.

Thank you

The choice of exercises on that program, if memory serves, are up to you. The suggestion is to use large, compound movements. Your proposed change seems worth trying to me.

-S-

Good Evening,

I am currently working through Bryce Lane's 50/20 program: For those interested

It's a good program. I feel like I'm making progress and its given me the best sleep I've had in years. Two days a week I do sandbag squats and the other two I do sandbag clean and presses or shouldering with a press at the top. The problem is that I feel that I'm getting way less out of the shouldering + Press than the clean and press. My question to you guys is if y'all think it would be better to just skip the shouldering and just do the clean and press twice a week? I feel that they work the same muscles with the shouldering just doing it to a lesser extent. I feel as if I have exhausted all the sandbag related resources on the internet and couldn't find a good answer.

Thank you

I'd say it depends on how you do the shouldering and press. If pulling from the floor and pressing with a crush hold (the bag lengthwise squeezed between your hands, press alternating sides) it should be a good bit more challenging than clean to the collarbone and press - this being on a bag with handles.

if shouldering from a squat - drag the bag to my thighs, squat to make a shelf for the bag, double underhook, come up quick and toss the bag to my shoulder - I can use a lot more weight than I can shouldering from the floor with a crush grip.

Doesn't sound like it matters too much either way. Personally I try to use variations that hit the same pattern with a little variety, but not at the expense of effectiveness.

I'd say it depends on how you do the shouldering and press. If pulling from the floor and pressing with a crush hold (the bag lengthwise squeezed between your hands, press alternating sides) it should be a good bit more challenging than clean to the collarbone and press - this being on a bag with handles.

if shouldering from a squat - drag the bag to my thighs, squat to make a shelf for the bag, double underhook, come up quick and toss the bag to my shoulder - I can use a lot more weight than I can shouldering from the floor with a crush grip.

Doesn't sound like it matters too much either way. Personally I try to use variations that hit the same pattern with a little variety, but not at the expense of effectiveness.
Would you say the same if I use a sandbag without handles? I always pull from the floor with the sandbag in front of me lengthwise. I squeeze it with my hands and bring it up to a shoulder, then I press it up. After that, I bring it back down and repeat with the other shoulder. If it doesn't really matter either way though I think I'll just do clean and press only, for simplicities sake. After a bit more experience maybe I'll switch things up.

Thank you!

Would you say the same if I use a sandbag without handles? I always pull from the floor with the sandbag in front of me lengthwise. I squeeze it with my hands and bring it up to a shoulder, then I press it up. After that, I bring it back down and repeat with the other shoulder. If it doesn't really matter either way though I think I'll just do clean and press only, for simplicities sake. After a bit more experience maybe I'll switch things up.

Thank you!

I'd say go with what you think is most effective.
My favorite C&P is using the lengthwise handles to clean and press off the knuckles. In fact OHP off the fist is my absolute favorite variety.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom