all posts post new thread

Old Forum Screwing in the feet in to start the swing ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tony1214

Level 1 Valued Member
I know at the top of the swing we "spin out"  or "screw in" the feet along with static stomp to creat external rotation at the hip, my question is this a good ideas to do when getting in the deadlift/hike position to start my ballistics? I know we want to keep contact of the whole foot especially the whole big toe.

Tony,

Others may be able to explain this better ... you won't "feel" the screwing of the feet and the spreading of the floor until your closer to extension (the plank) - when the glutes get shorter.

The cues for the hinge position should be something like, "grab the ground with your feet", "load the hips", "sit back into the load",  "pack the shoulders", "chest up" ... maybe one of those "spoke" to you.

I can tell you what I feel at the bottom of the swing: the weight of the bell attached to my rear pelvis - lots of lat pulling; and, a strong loading of my glutes and hamstrings; and, a very strong pulling on my obliques, which , depending upon the swing, radiates throughout the tissues surrounding my lateral and anterior mid-to-low-spine.  When I don't feel all of the above, I don't count that one as a good swing.

Scientific, I know.

Al,

In another post you mentioned you do a fair amount of loaded carries.  What kind of carries?  How much/often?  Thanks for the feedback.

Al - I love the description of what you feel at the bottom of your swing - I have an extremely clear expectation of what to feel each stage of the TGU, and do a lot of pausing and deep breathing on many of my reps, but after reading your description I feel like my swings are suddenly sloppy.  thank you.  my focus has always been on loading the glutes, hammies at the start of the initial hike, after that my focus has been squeezing the glutes, abbies, pulling up on the patella, pack the shoulder, and strong plank  at the top, but each of those cues are in reference to getting the bell back up.  on the way down I am conscious of pulling the bell into my groin before pushing my butt back, keeping the bell above the knees, feeling the arm slide through the inside of the upper thigh - but that's where I zone out - which is right where you tune in.  very helpful.

Brian ... My programs and classes do A LOT of loaded carries.  Personally, I go through my phases ... my own program is very freestyle, so it trends, but the specifics change pretty often.  When I do perform loaded carries, its basically farmer's carries, double waiter's walks, and long ruck marches.  Prowler pushes get in there sometimes.  Often, I can't say ... but how much: always heavy.  My lightest farmers carries are two 40s.  Double waiter's walks are 32s - 40s.  And you can get nuts on the prowler.  The goal is to posture properly and load up enough to slow you down ... but not that slow.  It's an art, but don't feed the ego.  My ruck usually has 50-65lbs in it - 90min-3 hours distance, at least twice monthly.

Marchese ... thank you, and you're welcome.  I really don't feel any of what you mentioned while the bell is moving ... but I used to.  This comes with practice, but the longer you swing, the less you need to feel, if that makes sense.  Everything seems to happen automatically ... planking tight against the bell, I only think "glutes".   Throwing it back down, I only think "wait for it".  The bell hits a spot on the way down when I feel one with it - this is about arms-to-ribs, or whatever cue is out there.  At this point, I violently drive back to hit the aforementioned position, then pull the trigger and, wham ... I'm in the plank again.  One in about 20 swings is off a bit, and I always think, "how did that happen?"

The best thing about a properly performed swing is getting to be violent without serving prison time.

Posting at the risk of Al hurling some good natured "fecal matter" in my direction!!  ;)

20 months ago, I went through Al's first Instructor Course at our AFB and have been teaching since then.

Al's cue that really nailed it for me was "shortstop position."  Since most of our students are military, the easy cue for the hip snap was "snap to attention, with your feet staying apart."

Loaded carries.  18 months ago, some of my squadronmates and I completed a "lowest bodyfat" contest, as measured on the bodpod.  When I added heavy Farmers' Walks my bodyfat droppped from 7 to 6% while gaining 4 lbs.  I was 49 at the time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom