all posts post new thread

Old Forum Semi-Newb

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

OHGEE1964

First Post
I've been a lurker here off and on for awhile and decided to step up and say hello. I decided that I really need to do something with myself. I'm retired and need to improve my health after 30 years in a sedentary job. I have been researching kettlebells and methodology for awhile as well.

I want to begin S&S but I do have a few concerns about the TGU. As an older American I realized that I am developing some slight  issues with my balance. I'm not to sure how that would impact trying to learn the TGU.

Is there an acceptable alternative to the TGU for now? Maybe presses? Or should I just do the 100 swings and warm up until I get strong enough to try the TGU.

Thanks for any information.

OhGee

try and learn the tgu with no weight and then start using a shoe to ensure you are keeping your arm vertical.  Once you've mastered the movement you can start adding weight.

OG, welcome to StrongFirst!

Please ask your doctor how much of a problem it is.  If you are cleared to do get-ups, practice them without a kettlebell but with some light object (e.g., an empty styrofoam cup) on your fist.  The purpose of the cup is to give you the feedback when your arm is not vertical or you are moving too fast—it falls.

If it is not an option, please post again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom