all posts post new thread

Old Forum SF Bodyweight Course experience

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I feel like one of the luckiest people alive being able to pursue quality training in something that has captured so much of my interest and made such a difference in my life this past year.  After attending the SF Kettlebell course in January http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/sfg-kettlebell-course-experience/, I signed up for this one March 22nd.  Another amazing day!   

So an overview of this course -- Bodyweight training is all about tension, so of course this translates well to all other modes of strength training.  The course covered the one-arm pushup (OAPU), the pistol squat, the pull-up, and hanging leg raise.  All progressions and techniques for each of these were thoroughly explained, demonstrated, and practiced.  The class is very neurologically demanding, as you are really concentrating on building tension in very specific ways.  I had read Naked Warrior and have the DVD – the class is very consistent with that, though I was able to apply it better with the teaching environment and working in pairs to practice. 

Master SFG Karen Smith taught the class, assisted by Senior SFG Betsy Collie at Betsy’s studio in Durham, NC.  Those two together are so much fun : )  What a great combination of talent, skill, professionalism, and just stellar strong women!  Several of Betsy’s regular students were in the class, and I just can’t get over how awesome they were as far as shape and muscle tone.  Clearly, what Betsy is teaching on a daily basis WORKS.   Karen is supremely skilled (and of course, the get-up model in S&S!) and an EXPERT instructor.  So polished and direct – every movement and message is delivered.   Within the other attendees, I got to meet Ken who will also be at the SFG cert in Chicago, and Don Quinn – he and I recognized each other from this forum.  Want see a super strong 72-year old with a PERFECT pull-up?  That’s Don!  Karen says that he will have a front lever, soon! 

My greatest takeaways….  Shoulder packing (throughout the movement – my weakness).  From a shortstop position, “move your shoulders into your back pockets.”  With a bar in front of you, “break the bar in half.”  Corkscrew.  Hollow position. “Point your belly button towards your face.”  Power breathing.  Breathing behind the shield.  Working the negative, on a push-up (or military press).  I have these now FAR better than I did before. 

Abs are interesting… mine are multitudes stronger than they once were, but I still have a long way to go.  Reference Pavel’s latest Blog article… it fits well with what we practiced in this course.  I think abs are sneaky in that they can be weaker than they should be, and other muscles will make up the difference.  But they shouldn’t.  Make your abs strong. 

Thank you StrongFirst for providing and delivering these great courses.

Great stuff. Did you have fun with the hanging leg raises? ;] For me it was another grueling encounter with my hamstring/hip flexibiltiy. I had much more fun with the OAPUs.

Phil, yes, the HLRs were humbling!  Not an issue of hamstring/hip flexibility for me.  It's just that my legs are so heavy.  At least, that must be why my abs can't hold them up while they're straight out in front of me ... ;]  OK maybe it's ab strength...

We got lots of good progressions to work on, though.  All in NW and in the manual.  The main thing is, get that hollow position.  "Point your belly button towards your face."  And of course, shoulders packed.

And, hanging on a bar is good for your back -- decompress after heavy lifting!

Thanks for the review-- sounds like time well spent.

Were any other exercises discussed/demonstrated--front lever,side lever ?

s f -- briefly discussed, but these weren't part of the one-day user course curriculum.  Might be covered in the 2-day Bodyweight Certification.  I gather that everything is taught in greater depth, and additional moves like handstands are taught as well.

Anna,

Thank you for reviewing the SFB Course here! I t was a true pleasure to work with you again after attending my SFG course in Chicago! You truly are a gifted instructor and will do well at the SFG Cert in Chicago! Don't hesitate to contact me for anything in the future! You  have a true gift to absorb what you are exposed to, work it , refine it and pass it on to others! Keep me posted!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom