all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG course or no?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mtageant

First Post
Allow me to introduce myself. I'm 54 yo, 5'11", and weigh about 260lbs (36%BF). My primary goal is to look good naked, and my secondary goal is to get strong. Knowing myself as I do, those goals will reverse themselves as I continue to workout. I am three weeks new to kettlebelling and two weeks into the RKC PM as set up by Anthony DiLuglio.

As I have been reading these boards, I understand that S&S is recommended prior to ROP. I was going to register for the upcoming SFG Course in Seattle on January 17th, however, S&S is primarily swings and tgu. Here's my question: would I be better served by private instruction where my swings and get ups could be refined as I progress? I know that the course in Seattle will also instruct me in the deadlift, squat, and mp, but if I don't practice those lifts, I'll lose the instruction that I received in them. To further complicate matters, I live at least two hours from the nearest SFG/RKC instructor.

Thanks in advance,

@Mtageant, I think private instruction is always best - do that, and you can always take the course whenever you want along the way. Many of us teach via Skype, or just arrange a trip to your nearest SFG and perhaps continue with a combination of Skype and in-person sessions as you can manage the latter in your schedule.

-S-

Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the course. Hard to say which one would be better for you -- I'm sure both would do a world of good -- but I'd definitely put in a vote in for the one-day course. The swing and get-up instruction are exactly what you need, and you will use the squat in your S&S warm-up. The press is the one you might not use directly of you're only doing S&S, but the lessons will stay with you, and you'll get an excellent course manual that can also be used for notes.

The SFG user course covers the swing, getup, squat and press..

I say do it since the more detailed instruction you get off the bat sets you up for a good foundation.

Equip yourself to make informed decisions for your training. In my opinion, one of the best methods to set a solid foundation is in-person training with the highest level subject matter expert that is reasonably accessible to you. So, if you can, get into the SFG course. Live well!

Private instruction with a competent instructor (like a SFG) will always beat everything else.

That said, I think the SFG course is the second best choice (one I finally did in September, having one only two hours from my home). It is a full day. The ratio of students/instructors ensures that you get at least some time of almost private instruction. It presents all the basis of the system, in a logical order.
You get correction on all drills, from the more simple to the more complex. I did get some good advice, even though I was already not a beginner.
Almost everything that is studied is essential for S&S (no swing until you can deadlift properly, for instance...).
The only thing that is not absolutely needed for S&S is the press, but it is just one small part at the end of the course. Even there, the "standing plank" you practice for the press is useful for the swing as well.

Personnaly, I think you get more of the course if you already read some material beforehand (S&S for instance). Then, you already have an overview of the system and can concentrate on the physical part and the sensations, without trying to understand the theory. It is of course just my opinon.

One other difference to keep in mind.

If you are trained in a StrongFirst 1-day course or cert, you WILL get the StrongFirst method, taught by a Senior, Master, or Chief StrongFirst Instructor.

If you are trained by an SFG, you may or may not get the StrongFirst method. An SFG may have this and other certs, and they are not bound to teach things the way they learned them. (Now, I will say that I think odds are extremely high that the SF cert/teaching will have been the best they've had, and likely that they teach things that way. But they don't have to.)

@Mtageant here's a vote for private instruction. You mention you're at least two hours from the nearest instructor, which means the course would be a drive for you as well. Given a drive for either choice, and given you know you want to focus on S&S skills for a while, I would spend the time and money on a focused private session. You can spend as much time as you want focused on just you, and on the few techniques you need to know first, and on the issues you're having with them. As Steve said, there are options for following up. And, the Senior SFG who's teaching the course is based in Seattle (as are several other instructors as I'm sure you know), so she is a resource available for you either way you go. You might pose your question directly to her (Andrea) as well; her email is under the senior instructors list on the StrongFirst website. She has some material on YouTube as well if you want to see her at work. The course will still be beneficial down the road, even if you know all the techniques.

Welcome to StrongFirst!

One other difference to keep in mind.

If you are trained in a StrongFirst 1-day course or cert, you WILL get the StrongFirst method, taught by a Senior, Master, or Chief StrongFirst Instructor.

If you are trained by an SFG, you may or may not get the StrongFirst method. An SFG may have this and other certs, and they are not bound to teach things the way they learned them. (Now, I will say that I think odds are extremely high that the SF cert/teaching will have been the best they've had, and likely that they teach things that way. But they don't have to.)
@Anna C, a couple of comments/corrections:

Team Leaders also teach the course.

You raise an interesting point about what method(s) you're being taught - I honestly hadn't considered that but you're right. I hadn't considered it because it would never occur to me to teach any other way, of course.

-S-

Thanks for the quick replies. I've called Dave Fujita, who has a level ll cert, and I am set up lessons for my wife and I. I was and am looking forward to taking the course, but it will be at a later date. Thanks again!!

Thanks for the clarification on Team Leaders, Steve, a good point. And most are probably of the same mind as you... but often times, people go for the cert, and go back to a more generalized training environment, or CF environment, or whatever the case may be... SF methods may not be as paramount. There were quite a variety of situations in the attendees at the cert I attended, and I've kept up with a lot of them since then on Facebook and whatnot. It definitely seems to stick, but for some more than others. I would think that if someone is an SFG II this is a pretty good indication that they are dedicated to SF principles. Also, the way a trainer promotes themselves and (and the way the facility promotes itself) seems to say a lot about whether SF is "the thing" or "a thing" to them. Just maybe for the new consumers of training services to think about...

Mtageant, glad to hear you are set up for training! You will not regret this investment in yourself. Even better that you are doing it along with your wife. :)

Our coach doesn't necessarily stick to StrongFirst philosophy for everything, but he does where it's the best fit for the outcome. For example, when we're doing more GS oriented sets, we're not doing hardstyle because hardstyle isn't designed for efficiency. When we're doing heavy swings, we're absolutely doing hardstyle. Bodyweight is also done according to StrongFirst principles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. I've called Dave Fujita, who has a level ll cert, and I am set up lessons for my wife and I. I was and am looking forward to taking the course, but it will be at a later date. Thanks again!!

I have a similar situation that I am the lone SFG in my country so I have to rely on the net for tuneups and info...

The user course and private instructions will get you closer to your goals so don't hesitate to invest. It will save you a lot of time and frustration..

My humble 2 cents

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom