all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG: Initiate the ascent with a grunt?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Davidlbn

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all

A question for the SFGs out there please:

I've enrolled for an SFG weekend at the end of November.

Some advice about the SFG squat please. The SFG requirements video says, on the double front squat, to "initiate the ascent with a grunt". I think it's also in S&S in the goblet squat instructions, something like "stand up with a grunt".

It seems a simple instruction but I'm not doing it right.
First off, is it a pass /fail criteria for the double front squat test?
Secondly, I seem to lose tension when I grunt, making the ascent more difficult than without. I find a slow controlled exhale as I ascend far better for controlling the tension.

Could someone please help with detail what the purpose of the grunt is and how it's supposed to be done?

Thanks!

Maybe we meet on the same SFG Cert in Nov.

In the Video where Zar Horton is demonstrating the technique he says „HEP“ or „HUP“ which works extremly well for me. Tension sounds are a personal thing, but with HUP you can not get it wrong imo, because it creates tension on the in, and the outbreath. Try it. (H)UP power to you.

The grunt should increase tension and assist with the ascent of the squat.
Practice the grunt (or hup/hep) while standing to see if you can find it there before trying to find it in the squat.
It is a requirement for the Front squat testing.

Breathing on the descent
Two options
1) inhale into the braced midsection > hold on the descent > grunt and forced exhale on the ascent
2) inhale while pulling yourself into the hole > grunt and forced exhale on the ascent

Hi all

A question for the SFGs out there please:

I've enrolled for an SFG weekend at the end of November.

Some advice about the SFG squat please. The SFG requirements video says, on the double front squat, to "initiate the ascent with a grunt". I think it's also in S&S in the goblet squat instructions, something like "stand up with a grunt".

First off, is it a pass /fail criteria for the double front squat test?
Secondly, I seem to lose tension when I grunt, making the ascent more difficult than without. I find a slow controlled exhale as I ascend far better for controlling the tension.

Could someone please help with detail what the purpose of the grunt is and how it's supposed to be done?

Thanks!
Like a boxer making a grunt/noise when they throw a punch, keeping torso tight so they can take a counterpunch. I say "UP" on mine,since that is where I'm going. I have students start off by counting out loud ( # is sharp,short) on ascent while breathing behind the shield. When they get that down they can choose their own noise.

Thinking my "UP" is closer to a "HUP".

Last edited:
You'll get there; practice makes perfect.

I seem to lose tension when I grunt, making the ascent more difficult than without. I find a slow controlled exhale as I ascend far better for controlling the tension.
There's nothing wrong with the grunt not being your preferred method, but learn how to do it. No doubt someone here can post more video examples if you need it, and probably a single session with someone who has passed the cert would help you figure out what to do.

I think the grunt is a great idea, but for anyone who picks up heavier-than-a-24-kg-kettlebell weights, you likely don't _need_ it to be able to stand up with a pair of 24's (or whatever your required weight may be) and there's nothing wrong with that, either. I learned a long time ago that there is a reason for everything in our standards, so even if that reason isn't clear to me or something I feel I want or need to do, I make sure I'm able to do it, and I try to understand the thinking behind it.

-S-

Let me add context (forgive the short and direct answer early on)

The grunt to initiate the ascent is placed to ensure the abs and engaged and that you are demonstrating a level of control with the given test size bells.

It's not required you do it when you train, testing is different...

The grunt should increase tension and assist with the ascent of the squat.
Practice the grunt (or hup/hep) while standing to see if you can find it there before trying to find it in the squat.
It is a requirement for the Front squat testing.

Breathing on the descent
Two options
1) inhale into the braced midsection > hold on the descent > grunt and forced exhale on the ascent
2) inhale while pulling yourself into the hole > grunt and forced exhale on the ascent
Thanks Brett. Just to clarify is the grunt just a grunt or is there any inhale or exhale that accompany it? I've been doing more of a sharp tsch! exhale.

You'll get there; practice makes perfect.
Thanks Steve. 12 more practice sessions before the cert! I'll keep at it.

Let me add context (forgive the short and direct answer early on)

The grunt to initiate the ascent is placed to ensure the abs and engaged and that you are demonstrating a level of control with the given test size bells.

It's not required you do it when you train, testing is different...
Thanks Mark

It’s an exhalation with diaphragm contracted to keep intra abdominal pressure tight. Where usual exhalation stretches diaphragm to extract air, grunt from my understanding is exhalation with contracted diaphragm. I don’t know if professional singers use similar technique but you can either be vocal or non vocal. You can sing your favorite Michael Jackson song while ascending if you choose to do so.

I don't remember if I was taught this, but I believe it also has to do with encouraging a pelvic floor contraction along with the diaphragm when initiating the ascent.

follow a lot of Strong powerlifters who dont grunt. Whats the purpose?

True, it's not something most of us keep as part of our practice. But we keep the lessons from it. :)

I don't remember if I was taught this, but I believe it also has to do with encouraging a pelvic floor contraction along with the diaphragm when initiating the ascent.

True, it's not something most of us keep as part of our practice. But we keep the lessons from it. :)

A breathing technique? Got it! :)

As for the bolded part. Perhaps that is a technique I should try out as I believe I have a hard time contracting my pelvic floor causing lower back pain from time to time according to the dr’s.

follow a lot of Strong powerlifters who dont grunt. Whats the purpose?
The front squat during the test is to be done with a pause. The purpose of the grunt is to help with pressurisation in those conditions.

Powerlifters most of the time use the stretch reflex: no pause at the bottom of the squat, pressurisation with the Valsalva maneuver from the top. It is only a matter of context.

The front squat during the test is to be done with a pause. The purpose of the grunt is to help with pressurisation in those conditions.

Powerlifters most of the time use the stretch reflex: no pause at the bottom of the squat, pressurisation with the Valsalva maneuver from the top. It is only a matter of context.

Thank you! Makes sense! (y)

@Davidlbn, why not take a video and post a link here?

-S-
Thanks Steve, I will when I get a chance. But I have had Shaun Cairns vet my form and he was happy with it. It's not that I can't grunt. I just don't feel a benefit from it and I guess I'm supposed to. At 57 I'm testing with 2x20kg which isn't a problem, I've just been training with bigger bells recently so I'm keen to dial in my form.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom