all posts post new thread

Old Forum SFG Level 2 certification

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LTAndrade

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello - I am new to the forum and newly certified Level 1 SFG (Feb 2014 San Diego).  I am looking for some programming resources for progression to SFG 2.   I do not work as a trainer and would like to complete for personal challenge only.  I used the blog articles on the website to prep for my SFG 1 and they were excellent, especially by Brett J (Cert Prep Guide)  and Dan J. (Peaking and Assessment).    I felt like I was well prepared.  I really haven't seen anything that is focused on SFG 2 specifically but haven't quite figured out how to search efficiently on the forum yet.   I am considering some individual/online programming options from a few folks out there, but wanted to see if you could direct me to any additional resources.   Thanks so much! - Laura

Some things to consider:

1. Which movement/s did you struggle with during the weekend? Work on those

2. Do you have a target date or are you working to get within striking distance?

3. Are you working with an SFGII or higher to learn the level 2 skills?

Honestly the more I look at it Return of the Kettlebell and Geoff Neupert's Kettbelle STRONG are fantastic resources if you have limitied access to a SFG II.

I know there are a few that would so online video sessions with you as well but try to get with one in your area if possible.

Mike absolutely. Those two are solid programs..

I'd also add that you work on your getup... the bent press and windmill will be easier if you can fully dissect the getup.

Mike and Mark thanks for your thoughts and advice.  I am within striking distance - need some instruction on bent arm press but am comfortable with most of the other skills, just want to hone further and continue to build strength.  The certification requirement states you don't have to meet the bent press weight requirement AT the cert course (rather within 2 years at the re-cert) so that give me some cushion although I am not in any particular hurry.  There are no SFG2 or KB gyms in my immediate area so will definitely need to travel for instruction or look into some online coaching options.  I know there are some good leaders out there within about 2 hours from me in the greater Bay Area of CA.  Without travelling internationally, the next SFG2 isn't offered within US until Oct so I will consider that or something in 2015 depending on locations.  Was planning on my first TSC in October 2014 so have been working on pulling and have also been progressing my get-up.  Appreciate your input!

Hey Laura. MSFG David Whitley has a Bent Press tutorial book + DVD in the works right now.  Release timing is unknown, but it seems like it'd be tailor-made for your situation. Meanwhile, you need to learn how to do jerks (if you don't know how) and the best distance learning program for that is Geoff Neupert's "Kettlebell Strong" as Mike and Mark noted.  I'm fairly new to double jerks myself, but I did do one Neupert program that focused on them and it made me think we may be under-valuing and under-using this exercise. It's very impactful.  So double jerks would be a fine thing to work on while waiting for Tamer's bent press book.

Hi Laura, there is a 3 part video (about 20 minutes long) on Scott Iardella's YouTube channel ("RdellaTraining") which covers the bent press. I don't have YouTube access from work to get the actual links but worth checking it out.

Laura, of all who fail SFG II an overwhelming majority did not have the strength to do the military press test.  It is simple (although not easy) to meet it: a high volume of presses with low reps and moderately heavy kettlebells.  In other words, the ROP.

Power to you!

Laura,

Pavel said it best, ROP.  Make owning your required press your #1 priority. Aside from the testing it'll make the PP and Jerk a lot easier. If you're borderline between pressing weights and can be healthier by leaning out a bit then now is the time to hone in on the eating habits that keep the extra pounds on.  I was right on the cusp and saw a few fail the press test due to extra pounds.

Priority #2, IMHO is the windmill.  More people in my group struggled with this movement than any  of the other tests that weekend given the mobility and stability needed to hinge in the required plane.  Most attendees in my group, myself included, had practiced this movement WRONG.

It would be well worth your time to make the trip you mentioned to have your windmill and your level II skills evaluated hands-on, then practice these and your level I skills on your ROP variety days.

As mentioned, the Bent Press isn't tested so prioritize this last behind the other skills for now.  As mentioned the quality of  your get-up will be of greatest value to transition to the bent press.

KETLLEBELL STRONG! has great drills for the PP and Jerk should you choose to practice on your own.

Zach and Pavel - thank you for that advice!

Faisal - I will look into the videos on youtube.

Bill - thanks for the heads up on the bent press resource.  yes, double jerks can be very impactful.

Mark - I am in Santa Rosa, about 50 miles North of the Golden Gate Bridge in SF.  With traffic patterns around the Bay, it takes about 1.5 hours to Oakland or then some to get to South Bay.

Cool. I have in-laws in Vallejo, I was there last december.

I don't know how far you are from San Jose but making the trip to get a session with Rif will be worth it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom