all posts post new thread

Shock & Awe Protocol - 30 day Training Log

KingBeans

Level 3 Valued Member
Day 1
Alright today was my first session of Shock & Awe Protocol.

I've just recently started practicing double swings now that 2-hand swings with a single 32kg are easy enough. I was going to buy a 48kg but decided I would be better off finally getting comfortable with double-bell swings. That being said, I will be working with 20kg bells this month. This weight will be very light for my presses and squats but pretty challenging for my swings and snatches.

Today's workout was 5 rounds of a double swings, double snatches and double cleans complex. Each round took about a minute, rested two minutes between sets.

I warmed up with shoulder dislocations and 3x10 kettlebell pushups.

Sets 1-3 were cake.

On set 4 I was able to suck it up and complete the cleans before the minute was up (arbitrary timer set by me so I didn't have to manually start and stop the rest timer), after a quick breather.

On set 5 there was just no way to finish before the minute, which doesn't really matter although I did want to complete the complex without breaking it. I don't think that's a rule anywhere though. I had to stop after the snatches, which were pretty sloppy after the previous rounds, and gather myself before knocking out the final cleans with arms that felt like jello.

3 1/2 hours later and my arms are still feeling it. Oof.

Workout and Warmup took about 20-25 minutes. The workout itself about 15ish.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the program. I think it's a shame when you have to buy a book just to see what you think of the program. However, I do strongly suggest we support the author as the book is pretty affordable.

Shock & Awe E-Book - Amazon product ASIN B00FP1YFEQShock & Awe page at Rdellatraining.com which is now basically a teaser for the 2.0 version of the program - The 'Shock & Awe' Protocol

Last edited:
Day 2

Cleans, Presses, Squats, Push Presses.

Got all 4 rounds done by my shoulders were gassed. Sets 4 and 5 I had to pause before doing the final push presses.

The writer of the program says not to do ANYTHING other than this program over the course of the program. I'm only two days into this program but I am wondering how strictly I would need to adhere to that. From a cardio and volume aspect, it's already kicking my butt. But after a few minutes to recover, I was able to press some 32kg just to mess around.

I have been doing the Fighter Pull Up program with a 16kg bell in the afternoons. I will keep any other extra activity to a minimum until this first cycle is complete and I really know what I'm in for.

Day 3
Double Swings, Cleans, Push Press, Rows and Squats.

This one was so rough. Sooo rough. I just got winded so quickly. Keeping the bells racked for so long is not easy. I had to rest before the rows, I think as early as the 2nd set.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'm dunzo with this program. I'm really not enjoying it at all. I don't mind getting winded, or sore or any of that but I just don't enjoy swiss army knife workouts like this. Maybe I just don't like complexes?

I really wanted to see this through but I'm not having fun and I miss focusing on honing my presses and squats. I started this program in an effort to get out of my 5x5 comfort zone.

I had Geoff Neuperts 12 Week program bookmarked, I think I will give that a shot starting Monday.

Back
Top Bottom