all posts post new thread

Barbell Should I add an "amrap" set to my bench routine?

metaldrummer

Level 6 Valued Member
Right now my bench routine is pretty much work up to a max single or double and then do 2 sets of 1-4 reps of pin press from chest. Do you guys think I would benefit from adding an "amrap" set in somewhere? From bench right now I go to skullcrushers and then dumbell tricep extensions to try to hammer my triceps even more. Thoughts?

Right now my bench routine is pretty much work up to a max single or double and then do 2 sets of 1-4 reps of pin press from chest. Do you guys think I would benefit from adding an "amrap" set in somewhere? From bench right now I go to skullcrushers and then dumbell tricep extensions to try to hammer my triceps even more. Thoughts?
Is your bench progressing? I’m assuming you don’t have a coach or a plan from a coach? Is there a progression built in to your plan? What is your goal of adding a bench AMRAP? How many days a week do you bench?

I like AMRAPs, especially on bench, but in general I also like to have a reason to add something.

Do you guys think I would benefit from adding an "amrap" set in somewhere?
You'll get more progression if you do a long set at the end of a training session

If you train for strength, and do sets with heavy weights and few reps, you'll build up more muscle mass and strength by finishing your workout with one set using less weight but more reps.

How Ultra High Rep (25+) Sets Can Improve Your Strength And Size

ttps://barbend.com/high-rep-sets/

Article Source: Ben Pollack holds the all-time world record raw total of 2039 in the 198-pound class....and earned his Ph.D. in the history and management of strength and fitness from the University of Texas at Austin in 2018,

...If you use them the right way, ultra high reps can lead to huge gains in the squat, bench, and deadlift.

First, a quick definition: “ultra-high” means at least 25, and probably 50-100 reps per set.

Summary
High Repetition "Finisher Sets" in the Exercise or one that employs the same Muscles in the Movement elicits a Greater Training Effect.

Example

Performing High Repetition Bench Presses after your Max Strength Bench Press Training can be effective. However, it is usually conterproductive.

The Muscle Fatigue Issue
The primary issue with High Repetitions in an Exercise such as The Bench Press, is that as Muscle Fatigue set in, Technique is altered; Poor Technique is developed.

When Technique is altered, the Exercise changes the Muscle Involvement. It beccome a completely different Exercise.

Pollack's recommendation is...

Try Simple Movements, Machines, and Keep It Light

"...When you’re 50 reps into a set, you’re not going to be able to really focus all that well on performing rep 51 with perfect form... If you’re trying to perform a more complicated movement (say, Arnold Presses), there’s a good chance you’ll end up cutting your range of motion short; or getting so sloppy that the target muscle group is no longer doing the majority of the work."
This is a real problem with...
Powerlifters
Many Powerlifter use the Competition Lifts as a mean of increasing Strength; it works.

However, with each Repetition, Muscle Fatigue set in which ensure Poor Technique is developed. For some reason this appear to be unique to Powerlifter, not other athletes.

Other Alternative Finisher Sets
1) Gym Machines

If you have Gym Memebership, use a Bench Press Gym Machine for the Finisher Set.

Due to its fixed Bar Path, it place the Workload on the Primary Muscles and avoids the development of Poor Technique.

2) Strape The Rack Bench Press

If you have a Power Rack, Scrape The Rack Bench Pressing essentially is a Smith Machine.

Scrape The Rack Bench Press Video

My Post Bench Press Training Finisher Set is around 65 lbs for 40 Repetition with an Incline Bench Press Scrape The Rack Movement with no lockout at the top or resting at the bottom. The constant tension on the Muscles (Time Under Tension) can be brutal.

Summary

1) High Repetition Finish Set

The focus is on performing a High Repetition Finish Set. The amount of Weight used isn't going to be that much if your are performing 40 Repetition or more, especially after your Max Training Bench Press.

I have used up to 60 Repetition with Kettlebell Swing.

2) AMRAP, As Many Repetition As Possible

High Repetition don't need to be taken to complete failure.

The objective is "The Pump"

Is your bench progressing? I’m assuming you don’t have a coach or a plan from a coach? Is there a progression built in to your plan? What is your goal of adding a bench AMRAP? How many days a week do you bench?

I like AMRAPs, especially on bench, but in general I also like to have a reason to add something.
My bench is technically progressing... I've been training again for about 6 1/2 months now. I started back doing like 3 sets of 115lbs and now I can hit 195 finally @ 162lbs BW. I don't currently have a coach, a plan from a coach or the money for any of that s***. ROFL I guess you could say I'm essentially winging it currently. I do have past experience training but I went literally 7 years without setting foot in the gym. I'm benching once a week because so far I've reserved the other day for OHP. I guess my reasoning for adding is that I've always gone pretty low rep for bench and I thought adding an amrap set could help by increasing some volume. I'm thinking right now I could either add it to regular bench, but since I'm finishing with pin presses I would probably just add another set with those at a lighter weight.

My bench is technically progressing... I've been training again for about 6 1/2 months now. I started back doing like 3 sets of 115lbs and now I can hit 195 finally @ 162lbs BW. I don't currently have a coach, a plan from a coach or the money for any of that s***. ROFL I guess you could say I'm essentially winging it currently. I do have past experience training but I went literally 7 years without setting foot in the gym. I'm benching once a week because so far I've reserved the other day for OHP. I guess my reasoning for adding is that I've always gone pretty low rep for bench and I thought adding an amrap set could help by increasing some volume.
Awesome work! I ask about coaching/plan/etc as if you had one it would be better to talk to them rather than have random folks monkey with it.

If you want to do an AMRAP, try around 65-75% of your 1RM. This works great in a wave cycle - Week 1 65%, Week 2 70%, Week 3 75%, drop back down to 65%, always basing it off whatever your top set hit that week. Edit to add you can go even lower and still have really good success - e.g. 55%-60%-65%, 50%-55%-60%.

Awesome work! I ask about coaching/plan/etc as if you had one it would be better to talk to them rather than have random folks monkey with it.

If you want to do an AMRAP, try around 65-75% of your 1RM. This works great in a wave cycle - Week 1 65%, Week 2 70%, Week 3 75%, drop back down to 65%, always basing it off whatever your top set hit that week. Edit to add you can go even lower and still have really good success - e.g. 55%-60%-65%, 50%-55%-60%.
No, all good. All I'm doing is monkeying around right now. ROFL It's working to some degree obviously, but I won't act like winging it is the best way. Problem is trying to figure out what routines to fit together where I can squat twice a week, bench once a week and fit OHP and deadlifts in somewhere. Right now I'm loosely basing my squat routine on Westside, but then again I don't have access to bands, chains, and all of the other gear, do I'm probably not doing that right either. The good thing is I've always more or less been good at training intuitively. I'm total open to critiques and suggestions tho. lol

No, all good. All I'm doing is monkeying around right now. ROFL It's working to some degree obviously, but I won't act like winging it is the best way. Problem is trying to figure out what routines to fit together where I can squat twice a week, bench once a week and fit OHP and deadlifts in somewhere. Right now I'm loosely basing my squat routine on Westside, but then again I don't have access to bands, chains, and all of the other gear, do I'm probably not doing that right either. The good thing is I've always more or less been good at training intuitively. I'm total open to critiques and suggestions tho. lol
How old are you?

There's nothing wrong with training intuitively if you are getting the results you want.

I have had very good results doing variations of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and Andy Baker's variation of Heavy-Medium-Light.

If you like sticking with Westside you could always buy their book, or look at DeFranco's Westside variation. There's a million Westside/conjugate variations out there if that's the way you want to go. Brian Alsruhe has a lot of free videos online and has some really fun conjugate programs. Here's a free video on how he sets up his conjugate programs:

How old are you?

There's nothing wrong with training intuitively if you are getting the results you want.

I have had very good results doing variations of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and Andy Baker's variation of Heavy-Medium-Light.

If you like sticking with Westside you could always buy their book, or look at DeFranco's Westside variation. There's a million Westside/conjugate variations out there if that's the way you want to go. Brian Alsruhe has a lot of free videos online and has some really fun conjugate programs. Here's a free video on how he sets up his conjugate programs:

41 :eek: I've messed around with 531 and Westside principles years ago. Recently I have actually been looking at 531 percentages for bench, and that's most likely what I would run right now if what I'm currently doing craps out. I think I would probably do a variation of it tho. Either way it definitely is a good looking program.

531 has your progression and AMRAP programmed so that’s a good way to go. If your goal is muscle keep your assistance work higher reps and close to failure, you’ll find one set of each is probably enough given your primary exercise is also targeting those muscles. Higher rep sets have the same effect on muscle growth but are much easier to recover from. I don’t know about you, but if I do a set of 10 at my 10 rep max, I’m not doing much else that day and I’ll have tomorrow off. But if I do 20 reps at my 20 rep max I’m back in the gym in next to no time. In fact, at one stage I was doing a full-body work for single sets ~20 reps at my 20 rep max every day for quite a few months. It was very doable

Fabio Zonin and Pavel's book reload is really good and the kindle version is like <$10. It has 5x5 programming and programming for specialized variety. If you want something that is more structured its all laid out in the book and very straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom