all posts post new thread

Old Forum Shoulder question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm not a physio, so I have a question for those who know.  When I have been inactive for a while, and get stiff, when I shrug my shoulders up, there is a cracking and popping sound.  It does not hurt, and has always been this way, as long as I can remember.  Anyone know what causes this?

First I would like to mention that I am not proffesional and only speak as an avid enthusiast.

My shoulders have also always been as you describe, but after I began to stretch a lot and focusing on working the lats, the sound have decreased a lot. Focusing on these two things helped me.

Jakob Munch, Denmark.

Steve,

I hope you don't mind that I had a little chuckle when I read your post.  I am 64 years old and when I do a halo during warm-up, my left shoulder soumds like someone's popping popcorn! I also feel some movement in the joint. A chiro has suggested that it may be a tendon or ligament. I don't think they really know.

It doesn't hurt and it doesn't interfere with my joint mobility so I just ignore it and do my workout. I, too, would like to know what it is.

Jim

Thanks for the response, guys.  Nice to know I'm not the only one.  Like Jim said, it does not hurt or interfere with performance, but it would be nice to know why it happens.

Steve, a completely unscientific observation from my own training: If a pop/crack happens all the time and you pop/crack a lot, it may be cause for concern.  OTOH, the kind of pop/crack that happens when you're stiff and goes away after a bit is not something to worry about.

I would have to think long and hard about joint that don't pop and crack for me at least some of the time - neck, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, ankles and feet all make noise for me at some point during most days.

-S-

Thanks, Steve.  Mine crack and pop when they are stiff, then feel great afterward.  I just didn't know if there were a specific cause someone could point me to, along the lines of "Oh, that's just your whatever doing this."

So there's cavitation which is fluid/gas moving quickly within the joint that makes noise. This is what's heard when you get a manual adjustment at the chiro. There's also the possibility of a "snapping" tendon/ligament or cartilage. In the shoulder, this could be from the biceps tendon popping out of the groove, but not the only reason. The former is okay if it doesn't happen all the time, the latter is not. The reason I say it's okay if it doesn't happen all the time is that cavitation can cause damage where the gas bubbles pop, but this is implied from mechanical instances where cavitation is seen. Now, in the case of snapping tendons or cartilage, some people can have flapping cartilage that doesn't cause them any pain, but with the right combination of movement direction and compression pressure, that cartilage can rip, getting lodged in the joint and then there's real problems! Snapping tendons and ligaments will get thickened and lose elasticity making them more susceptible to frays and tears.

The point is still the same, if it doesn't hurt, you're probably okay. I wouldn't try to make the noise on purpose, as that just seems like you're asking for trouble, but unless you're willing to have an exploratory scope or an MRI done, I don't see the point in worrying about it.

Joe,

I suspect that some of mine in the left shoulder is the snapping tendon or cartilege variety. At least it  feels like that. It often hurts a little after a ROP workout but it always goes away.

Progressing on the ROP actually seeems to help reduce the pain. Maybe I need more muscle around that joint!

Jim

Thanks, Joe.  That makes sense.  I appreciate the explanation.  I don't think I'm ripping anything, do cavitation makes sense.  I feel it just above my scapulae, so its not the biceps tendon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom