all posts post new thread

Barbell Side press demo?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Is there a good video of the side press as described in ptp? The videos I could find show the one that looks a lot like the bent press.

@the hansenator
There is a lot of overlap between the side press and bent press. The main differences are:

--Some traditional definitions of the side press specify that the knees remain locked throughout. Some people observe this distinction and some don't. I don't and, IIRC, neither does Pavel in PTTP (there is a PTTP video). When I side press, the front leg (opposite the working side) is bent.

--In the bent press, the weight is not actually pressed upward. You bend under the weight to lock out the arm and then stand up with the arm locked out. In the side press, the weight does travel upward as the elbow straightens.

--The term side press can encompass a wide range between almost a military press and almost a bent press.

BTW, a tip for gripping a barbell for the side press: Don't center your hand on the bar. Center a point closer to your pinky finger. Experiment to find the best balance point for you. When you find it, the bar will be very stable sitting in your hand and you will not have to grip the bar tightly to keep it under control. In fact, you can lift with an open hand if you want to. In my experience the olympic bar is more stable than a KB and much more stable than a DB.

@the hansenator, I'll add to what @Steve W. said with a brief summary:

Strict Press - Body remains stationary, weight moves up. Both knees locked, little or no side lean, little or no backwards lean.

Bent Press - Weight remains stationary, body moves to get underneath the weight. Both knees can unlock, and the body can twist and bend in any direction.

Those are the two ends of the spectrum. In between there exists the Side Press, in which one both presses some _and_ moves the body away from the weight some.

In the PTTP sidepress, we keep one knee locked and allow the other one to bend.

In the traditional Side Press, both knees remain locked, a wide stance is taken, and you lean sideways a decent amount in order to get under the weight.

-S-

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking at the more upright version. That's the press that seems most agreeable to my shoulders. I use a dumbell because I have to take it upstairs where the ceiling is high enough.

Maybe I'll invest in the video. Looking at the pictures in the book, it looks like you lean to the side a bit but nothing like what you see in a bent press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom