all posts post new thread

Old Forum Simple and Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There will be a Kindle edition available on Friday, 11/29 - that is the digital version.  It is not available as a PDF.

I bought the Kindle book yesterday. An excellent condensation to the essence of Pavel's teaching. My dillema is how to best add overhead press since I think I need that as an old guy who is getting back into shape.

Just bought the kindle book.

Looks great!Can't wait to read it!

Wish I have a kindle reader so I can read it on the train or cafe (too hard to read on the phone.

Dave,

Pavel seems to believe that Simple and Sinister as written is all you need.  Since Pavel is an impressive man, and is surrounded by other impressive men who also think that Pavel is an impressive man, I am going with what he said.

Dave,

Follow the program as it's laid out in Simple and Sinister. Mastering the get up is the best way to owning the press.

Before you know it, Pavel's next volume will be out and you'll be ready to manhandle the MP.

Dave,

I wasn't trying to be a smarty pants with that answer.  Actually, I think it is a good question.

I just took the strongfirst kettlebell course a week ago.  It came with a Kettlebell Course Manual that included a workout in the back.  The workout consists of a heavy-light-medium day of presses, squats/swings, followed by more presses, with variety days of suggested getups and pullups.  There is no prior kettlebell experience required for the course, so it is beginner appropriate.  So my assumption is, Pavel thinks this is a good program for a beginner, but can be used to progress a considerable amount.  I decided that I would follow this program.  Then Simple and Sinister comes out.  I shouldn't have been looking at the Strongfirst forum so I wouldn't see something and be tempted to look at it.  But sure enough, a ten dollar Kindle book comes along that everyone is raving about, so for ten bucks, why not look at it.  Pavel writes that unless you are a high level athlete, a gpp program like S&S is the perfect program for all around fitness.  What's a guy to do?  They both seem like good programs, both appropriate for a guy like me.  I think the tie breaker for me is the fact that S&S will be easier on my shoulders, but honestly, I think that either would be good.  Either way, I need to pick a horse and ride it for w while rather than jump between programs.

Jeffrey, I only just ordered my copy of S&S, but I imagine that you could cycle between the programs. Do S&S for a month or so, then switch over to the other program. Sounds like they would build upon each other pretty well. Like alternating between cycles of the PM and PTTP.

Thanks for your replies. I shall now ramble.

The day after last Christmas I weighed in at an out of shape 276 and decided that it was a disgrace to my faded USMC tattoo. I did some research and decided to go with kettlebells. I didn't want to give myself a heart attack or stroke so I started with Andrea Du Canes Kettlebell Boomer. It got me off to a good start.

I tend to be overly analytical and have collected more info and programs than I'll be able to use at my age, mostly SF people. To shorten the long story, I made it down to 210 and decided that the drawback to fat loss workouts was that I couldn't go as heavy as I need while doing less to get through the "workout." I went to a SFG class 2 Nov (about time) and am doing the plan in the book. I'm back up to 220, but I think that I've been putting on a bit of muscle so I'm not overly concerned (yet).

Since the swing and TGU are already the main staple of what I'm doing, it just could be that S&S is a good way for me to escape the bonds of my over analysis that keeps me adding this and that.

People have been going on and on about my success, up to this point. Even mentioning living longer. Nobody gets out alive, my objective is to live better (being able to do stuff).

Mark, I'm going to trust you on the point that the getups will lend to my being able to lift heavy things over my head and go ahead and do the S&S. I'll be 64 in about 2 months and my concern all year has been doing enough to progress without getting set back by injury (I did lots of the injury thing before turning into Jabba the Hut). I'm a high mileage, formerly hard man and the near daily workout appeal to my gung-ho spirit but I'll have to find a way to not break myself with an overuse issue.

Thank you all,

Dave

Dave - this has nothing to do with S&S, but as you probably know, the formula for pressing in ETK is the ROP.  This involves a lot of pressing volume, which would be more likely to lead to overuse injury than daily TGUs. I stopped the ROP after about a month, mainly for this reason.

Also, in the PM in ETK, the TGU is prescribed exactly for hard men with high mileage.

I'm 42, have never really been a hard man, and if I'm honest, don't really have high mileage (physically). However, I have a shoulder injury from childhood that has always stunted my pressing progress (pain, weakness). The TGU is something I can do without pain, and even though (apparently) the S&S prescription for the TGU is almost daily, I don't think overuse would be as likely as it would with presses, ROP-style.

Dave,

You sound like my brother from a different mother. I am 64 1/2 years old and over-think everything. I have lost about 40 pounds since following SFG, but still have a long way to go to be at an appropraite body composition. I have been following the ROP faithfully for many weeks but have become concerned with nagging (but not severe) pain in my left shoulder.

I was one of the lucky ones who bought the Kindle version of S&S when it was available on Tuesday. I have read it once each day since. Seemingly simple yet very deep in real content.

I began training with the S&S template on Wednesday and just completed my third straight day. Today I dropped the standing up portion of the TGU due to some hip discomfort (I'm still overweight, remember) but otherwise followed it to the letter.

My shoulder is MUCH better. I love training ("refreshing") daily and I will follow this simple but sinister plan for a long time.

Sometimes we just need to "do this" as Dan John says. It seems to me that Pavel wrote this for people just like me who need to just train for geneal physical fitness and get on with life. It soumds like you might be in the same boat.

Speaking of boats, that's where you and I are different. I was in the Navy many years ago, but have the utmost respect for my Marine brothers. Semper Fi.

Jim

Lest we give anyone the idea that S&S is just for geezers, the sinister goal looks lofty for even a young man or woman. Reaching the simple goal would please this old man.

Dave

Dave/Jim - I plan on incoporating this into my own training. I know where I stand now and not going to lie, I'm as eager to hit the Sinister goals as I am intimidated by them.

Many thanks to Mr. Tsatsouline for this and I am looking forward to the works ahead for StrongFirst!

Since I posses more good training material than I have life left to do it all in, and some is inappropriate for me at this time, I need to choose a long haul, rather than 4-8 weeks and change program. I just read S&S again while keeping the thought "why do I train with kettlebells/what are my objectives?" in mind for the entire read. I'm going to roll with S&S since it makes a credible promise to take me where UI want to be.

It also resolves a dilemma created with a statement that Dan John made, "If it's important, do it every day." This is an iron every day program!  Sweet!

Dave

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom