all posts post new thread

Singles Reps

Strike

First Post
Hi
For some time now im doing just single reps with 30 sec. between for deep squats ATG concentric only from the pins.
I was doing paralel back squats and front squats from begining of my training history but now want to do deep squats as im anle to go all way down and to put some new things in training.
Problem is below paralel dont have even near strength, need much time to transfer from eccentric to concentric, starting strength Rfd is weak point. Press from the pins with singles will help my with proper form (its much different go all way down) and to get up from the bottom. Rep range is between 15 to 20 reps with 1 in RIR and singles done to that number and near failure can elicite hypertrophy with extended ROM, should i decrease number to 10/15 and increase load for more strength and miofibrilar hypertrophy now is around 80%+ of concentric only ATG squat and that are all working reps.
Things like rest pause show that even 5/6 reps with addicional few can work for hypertrophy if done to failure so what you think will 10/15 heavier work well?

@Strike, you’ve both given and requested a lot of very specific things without giving us any background. Please explain a bit - start with what you are hoping to accomplish in your training.

-S-

I do 15 to 20 reps or if you dont get it progress from 15 to 20 rep then add weight Double Progression. And its Anderson Squat concentric only for starting strength from bottom position.
How do you get it back down to the pins?

If I’m understanding you correctly you are doing below parallel pin squat singles with 30s in between for a total of 15-20 reps. You want to get stronger and maybe a little bigger. You want to know if using more weight and decreasing your reps is a good idea.

It doesn’t matter.

I think you are training ineffectively, but if you get stronger with your 15-20 cluster or your 10-15 cluster, you’ll have gotten stronger. You are noticing problems with your way of training, and I would suggest doing other squat variations and stop doing just singles for most of your goals.

need much time to transfer from eccentric to concentric,
Use oscillating squats a la Cal Dietz.

You are looking to improve RFP, isometric squat executed at the lowest point in the ROM, rapid exertion for one exhale, repeat 5-8 times. Terminate the exertion immediately when you feel you cannot increase tension with increased effort. Inhale, repeat.

Rest. Then follow with 'W' oscillating squats to fatigue (movement slows despite intent to move rapidly).

Have a reference for improvement - you're adding a lot of fuss for small changes that won't be apparent in most dynamic movement. Verify efficacy.

His reasoning is that his rate of force development is slow.

To the OP: I think you're overcomplicating matters A LOT. Not to say that you can't make progress with a lot of concentric-only, or pause, or oscillating, or plyos, or XYZ, but my suggestion would be to spend more time building a wide and deep base of... wait for it... plain vanilla squats in the 3-10 rep range.

For some time now im doing just single reps with 30 sec. between for deep squats ATG concentric only from the pins.
Concentric Only From PIns

How are you getting the Bar down to the Pins for a Concentric Only from the pins?

With that in mind, let's look at...

Dr. Fred Hatfield's Concentric Only Squats

Hatfield perform Concentric Only Squat Training as a means of...

Compensatory Acceleration Training, CAT

This is defined as pushing or pulling a Movement as hard and fast as possible regardless of the Load.

"The Intent"

As per research, what is important is "The Intent" to move the weight as fast as possible is the key.

Doing so, innervates Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber, developing them.

Faster Recovery

Research shows that when a Concentric Only Movement is performed without an Eccentric Component to it, recovery occurs faster.

An example of a Concentric Only Movement is riding a bike; there no Eccentric Trauma to the Muscles.

Hatfield's Squat Only Concentric

Hatfield avoid the Eccentric Component of the Squat by allowing the Bar to Free Fall back down the the Pins.

While this works, it isn't good for the Bar nor the Rack Pins. Plus, that slamming sound of the Bar into the Pins is crazy.

Resolving That Issue

The kindest method in minimizing the Bar Impact in the Free Fall and virtually eliminating the noise factor is use of Safety Straps; like the Spud Safety Straps or Car Tow Straps. I have the Car Straps. The are great.

Here are two Videos demonstrating...

Good Mornings with Straps with an Eccentric Free Fall

My staple Deadlift Auxiliary Exercise is Concentric Only Good Morning, as the video above demonstrates.

I have worked up to performing a Partial Concentric Only Good Morning with 385 lbs x 1 Rep with the Car Tow Straps.

Just below the Car Tow Straps, I have the Rack Safety Pins in place, in case the Strap breaks.

Bench Press with Straps with an Eccentric Free Fall

I have perform these, as well.

Things like rest pause show that even 5/6 reps with addicional few can work for hypertrophy if done to failure so what you think will 10/15 heavier work well?
Maximum Strength Training

Rest Pause (Cluster Sets) are effective for increasing Maximum Strength with training to failure.

Developing Power

To increase Power Development...

1) 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max is required.

2) Cluster Set Reps of 1-2, maybe 3 are optimal.

3) Rest Periods Between Clusters

Research shows that greater Power Output is produced with Rest Period of around 45-60 second between Cluster Reps.

4) Stopping The Set or Exercise

Once Power Output drops in a Cluster Set, the Set or the Exercise need to be terminated.

Power is no longer being trained nor developed.

Use oscillating squats a la Cal Dietz.
"Pulse Contract-Relax-Contract Training"

Oscillating is what Dr. Stu McGill Defined as "Pulse Contract-Relax-Contract Training".

The post below provide more information on what it is, why it is so effective and how to implement it.

Back
Top Bottom