all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Skin The Cat + Kip Extensions

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I'm self-taught at these so I imagine there are many things for a proper gymnast to criticize - and y'all are welcomed to tell me what those things are, so long as you don't insist that I change them :) - but I enjoy doing both the StC and the KE. Age 69, bodyweight 150, and really tight shoulders that always feel better after these.

-S-

I just had to go do a couple on my pull-up bar!
Let's have a video, please!

I've worked on my front lever on a bar, but not a Skin the Cat - my lower back is pretty inflexible and I'd have to do some fancy leg crossing thing. Maybe I'll try it over the summer when my wife is around more and can dial 911 when I fall off the bar.

:)

-S-

Let's have a video, please!

I've worked on my front lever on a bar, but not a Skin the Cat - my lower back is pretty inflexible and I'd have to do some fancy leg crossing thing. Maybe I'll try it over the summer when my wife is around more and can dial 911 when I fall off the bar.

:)

-S-
Another reason to do another set ;)

These might enter GtG rotation....

Edit: if I had the ceiling space I think I could still do them in a full pike

I'm self-taught at these so I imagine there are many things for a proper gymnast to criticize - and y'all are welcomed to tell me what those things are, so long as you don't insist that I change them :) - but I enjoy doing both the StC and the KE. Age 69, bodyweight 150, and really tight shoulders that always feel better after these.

-S-

lookin good! that hang is a classic shoulder stretch. if you wanted to look more like a "gymnast," you'd tuck your tucks and pike your pikes. and, of course, knees/feet always together with toes pointed. the one functional benefit you might gain, is that keeping legs straight during your pikes could also hep to make this a posterior chain stretch as well. but gymnasts frequently do the hang section with most of the body relaxed, just as a shoulder stretch. i've seen gireviks doin these as well for the same reason.

the lower to L seat at the end is a nice strength builder. i tend to avoid these now myself, bc they tend to make my back hurt.

at age 62, it's inspirational to watch. and i think it's really important for those of us who are older to pick out very new things to work on. props.

Well, I tried it I just can’t seem to trust all my weight on my shoulders. As soon as I easy my way all the way around, I’m about to settle in and I let go. For reference, I’m 100kg and in my mind I think my weight is going to hurt my shoulders. Is skinning the cat safe for me?

Well, I tried it I just can’t seem to trust all my weight on my shoulders. As soon as I easy my way all the way around, I’m about to settle in and I let go. For reference, I’m 100kg and in my mind I think my weight is going to hurt my shoulders. Is skinning the cat safe for me?
Just go as far as you're comfortable, stick with training the movement regularly, and experiment with going a little further whenever it feels ok/safe to do so. My first efforts got my torso to about parallel with the floor and no further. Also try it on a bar and on the rings and if the bar feels safer, do that.

-S-

Just go as far as you're comfortable, stick with training the movement regularly, and experiment with going a little further whenever it feels ok/safe to do so. My first efforts got my torso to about parallel with the floor and no further. Also try it on a bar and on the rings and if the bar feels safer, do that.

-S-
Thank you I will give it a try. I’ve been wanting to try it. My shoulders get tight and I usually use other stretches to loosen them up. But this one has always intrigued me.

A couple years ago I got big into doing them and pikes on the rings - basically exactly what Steve did in his video. I was 215lbs or so at the time. I just did them cause I had rings and was playing around, never really trained them.

Can you hurt yourself? Sure.
Will you because you’re heavier? No.

What Steve said is spot on for introducing them. I’d encourage you to treat it as play vs exercise/training.

Can you hurt yourself? Sure.
Will you because you’re heavier? No
Well I will give it another try and try not to freak out. I conquered my first hurdle last night, because I thought for sure my rings would slide at the wrong moment and I would fall right on my head. So, I survived that at least. I know I can do it, but to me its like getting on a roller coaster that spins around and around. haha

Well I will give it another try and try not to freak out. I conquered my first hurdle last night, because I thought for sure my rings would slide at the wrong moment and I would fall right on my head. So, I survived that at least. I know I can do it, but to me its like getting on a roller coaster that spins around and around. haha
I would suggest starting out with a tuck and rock, gradually as you are comfortable rocking your head further and further back until you are comfortable to commit to a skin the cat.

Getting comfortable with spinning around upside down is usually the first hurdle. Much like teaching freestanding handstands to new trainees, it takes some time to get over the initial disorientation that can occur.

As for being safe on the shoulders, just like is suggested in the video you posted, it is always a good start to find a way to hold the position with the feet supported. You can either get into it like Twyman suggests, or you can set the rings at a height where you know your feet can touch the floor, do the full skin the cat and then touch down on your feet. Set the rings at a height that will allow you to simply let go of them instead of pulling back up through the movement.

The bottom of the skin the cat, where you are hanging in deep shoulder extension, is called a German Hang, in case you would like to search for more stuff.

When I taught at a gymnastic strength training gym, there were plenty of people 200-ish pounds, and some significantly bigger. It's possible; it just takes careful progression. With moves like these that have the potential to overload soft tissues if loaded inappropriately , it is always best practice to start pretty gentle and see how it treats you. Then, over time, gradually expose yourself to higher loads.

All that said.... I think these are going to enter regular rotation for me. I've barely done them in a while, and doing just a few sets the other day had my whole shoulder girdle worked pretty good.

All that said.... I think these are going to enter regular rotation for me. I've barely done them in a while, and doing just a few sets the other day had my whole shoulder girdle worked pretty good.
Yeah same here. I'm going to play around with them some more and maybe hang my rings from a tree in my backyard so I can just grease the groove with them. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it!

I learned Skin The Cat as part of GMB Rings One, which has since been replaced - I think - by the rings option in GMB's updated Integral Strength. I don't remember the exact progression, other than having to learn how to get into tuck inverted hang first. The instruction was to jump and pull (like a bicep curl) at the same time - I had a hard time getting the coordination of that down.

After achieving tuck inverted hang, I remember working on lowering myself towards a German hang... but not going all the way at first. Just lowering as far as I felt confident, hanging out at that position for a sec or two then pulling back up into inverted hang. Actually I think one of the prescribed exercises was doing this movement for a prescribed number of reps for 3 to 5 sets or something like that. It was a way to build up both strength and mobility for the full Skin The Cat.

One key detail was setting up the rings relatively low, so that if anything goes wrong, you could save yourself by simply lowering your feet to the floor.

Back
Top Bottom